• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gay marriage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If it's the acts that the Bible has an issue with, does that mean that being in a celibate gay marriage is OK?

The Catholic church teaches that people with homosexual tendencies must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity and that any sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided, so they must be in favour of (at a minimum) celibate gay marriage, no?
    I think yes on every count except the marriage part, simply because the bible explicitly states marriage is when a man and woman are joined.

However it would be asking a lot for two normal people to remain celibate for life, which is why in the context of marriage Paul says spouses should come together to have sex rather than risk giving into temptation for immorality (i.e. lust, affairs, buggering small boys, etc)
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I think Paul lumped homosexual sex in the general category of "sexual immorality" actually. The whole concept of sexual orientation and gender identity was nothing like how we see it these days - homosexuality was often seen as an overspill of depravity a bit like how straight people "turn gay" in prison with no women. Similarly bestiality.

This doesn't automatically mean he was against homosexuality itself, just sex outside of marriage which was a man-woman thing and therefore automatically included gay relations.
      It is interesting. He appeared to see marriage as a second best to celibacy.

…8I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. 9But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Comment

This doesn't automatically mean he was against homosexuality itself, just sex outside of marriage which was a man-woman thing and therefore automatically included gay relations.
        Romans, chapter 1

"Therefore, God handed them over to degrading passions. Their females exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity."

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          It is interesting. He appeared to see marriage as a second best to celibacy.
          Indeed. He says it's the ideal towards which one can strive, but acknowledges that very few are able to and that it is better to accept that rather than to fail.

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
          Romans, chapter 1

"Therefore, God handed them over to degrading passions. Their females exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity."
          Yes, that's what I said. Same-sex acts are seen as depths of perversion "when your blood's up", not an indication of sexuality. It specifically says they "gave up natural relations" - like girls getting drunk and fooling around even though they're not actually gay.

Comment

Indeed. He says it's the ideal towards which one can strive, but acknowledges that very few are able to and that it is better to accept that rather than to fail.

Yes, that's what I said. Same-sex acts are seen as depths of perversion "when your blood's up", not an indication of sexuality. It specifically says they "gave up natural relations" - like girls getting drunk and fooling around even though they're not actually gay.
            Note the words "shameful" and "perversity". I wouldn't say G-d is for homosexual behavior any way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              Although marrying someone who is too young to make a sensible choice or an animal who cannot sensibly offer consent etc would be something I would object too.
              What about a dog that sticks it's nose in your crotch?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                The dog should get consent before performing such an act!
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
                  Note the words "shameful" and "perversity". I wouldn't say G-d is for homosexual behavior any way or another.
                  It's a fair point, however it is shameful for them to fornicate with anyone, regardless of gender... orgies and loose sex are "shameful and perverse" generally in this context.

I personally lean towards your interpretation however all biblical references to homosexuality are about homosexual sex outside of loving relationships - rape, overflowing lust, etc - so it's hard to be sure when the whole concept of "being gay as a regular person" is a more modern understanding.

Comment

Are you offering to wear a dog suit?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Can I borrow your dog?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X