• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Demystifying Agency Job Advert Terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Core skills required:
    Core skills required:
    C++, C#, WPF, WCF, .NET, Java, C, TFS, Windows, Linux, Unix, Mainframe, UFOs, MFI, Scripting languages (all), OOD, OOM, FFS, whatever else you have heard of but one version newer.

... actually I don't know. I have no idea what rationale agents have for requirment lists like this.
    By answering this ad we have inadvertently discovered a bigger BS merchant and Dick than we are.

The client will be delighted...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Core skills required:
      C++, C#, WPF, WCF, .NET, Java, C, TFS, Windows, Linux, Unix, Mainframe, UFOs, MFI, Scripting languages (all), OOD, OOM, FFS, whatever else you have heard of but one version newer.

... actually I don't know. I have no idea what rationale agents have for requirment lists like this.
      Keyword searching/matches.

Agent's know that potential candidates are searching job sites based upon keywords and/or location (and also possibly rate), therefore they make sure their job advert is returned in the search results when candidates search for technologies that are only tangentially related. That list will have little to nothing to do with the actual requirements for the role.

Agent's do the same thing when searching through a database of candidate CV's which is why it's important, irrespective of how cr*p it looks, to have a section within your CV that is a long list of acronyms and keywords. Helps you get noticed!

Comment

At least five years experience of Sharepoint 2012
        We don't make up our job specs but we do copy and paste technologies into them with a passion.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
          Keyword searching/matches.

Agent's know that potential candidates are searching job sites based upon keywords and/or location (and also possibly rate), therefore they make sure their job advert is returned in the search results when candidates search for technologies that are only tangentially related. That list will have little to nothing to do with the actual requirements for the role.

Agent's do the same thing when searching through a database of candidate CV's which is why it's important, irrespective of how cr*p it looks, to have a section within your CV that is a long list of acronyms and keywords. Helps you get noticed!
          Copy, paste use white text between paragraphs. Problem solved
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Fast-paced

We can't organise a piss-up in a brewery, so we do lots of shouting and threatening instead.

Work hard, play hard culture

We expect at least 3 hours a day free overtime and you'll have to have a beer with the permies afterwards. And we expect you to buy the first and last round.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Core skills required:
              C+$, C#, WPF, WCF, .NET, Java, C, TFS, Windows, Linus, Unix, Mainframe (COBRA, AS4000) , UFOs, MFI, Scripting languages (pythan, Java Scipt, Rubble, Groovey), Shell Scripting (tzch, bish), OOD, OOM, FFS, whatever else you have heard of but one version newer.
              I can't find anyone on the CV database we have as I can't spell the technologies the client wants.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Use to working with teams based overseas
                Can deal with lying people from a certain country who deliver rubbish late.

Agile
                The client plans SFA and likes meetings so you just have to deal with it to deliver something.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I can't find anyone on the CV database we have as I can't spell the technologies the client wants.
                  In fact, can't really spell teknology.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Junior Position
                    Don't even think about it unless its a 30 second walk from your front door to the office. A commute by bus and a sandwich from the canteen would leave you out of pocket
                    AKA Local Candidates Preferred

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Use to working with teams based overseas
                    Can deal with lying people from a certain country who deliver rubbish late.

Agile
                    The client plans SFA and likes meetings so you just have to deal with it to deliver something.
                    So you've worked at a Northern-based supermarket too?

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    In fact, can't really spell teknoWlogy.
                    Fixed for you

Comment

No 9-5 mentality

We expect you to work all the hours that god sends and weekends if we can get away with it.
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X