• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What estate car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Citroen C5 Estate six speed automatic Diesel. What makes a really good estate car is the self levelling suspension. For loading there is also switch near the tailgate so the car can be lowered or raised for eas of loading. BTW, my neighbour also bought one to replace his BMW, he now thinks that BMWs are over rated.
    Don’t buy new, its money down the drain
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by flambo View Post
      New baby. Own a BMW 1 series but too small now. Looking for an estate car for about £15k. So far have liked the 3 series estate but as I liked the old Beamer I may be missing better value options. So, big should out to all the dads who need to fill their cars full of tulip.
      I love bimmers, me. I'd recommend the new 3 series Touring but they are outside your budget.

If you want a good estate, look no further than the new Skoda Octavia Estate (yes, really.) Starting at £16900, it is a little over budget but comes decently equipped (back end even looks bimmerish).

When my 3 Series goes, I'll seriously consider the Octavia or Rapid as they come in hatchback version too.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by flambo View Post
        New baby. Own a BMW 1 series but too small now. Looking for an estate car for about £15k. So far have liked the 3 series estate but as I liked the old Beamer I may be missing better value options. So, big should out to all the dads who need to fill their cars full of tulip.
        Get a 4X4 and cut out the intermediate estate car stage...I assume you will want more than 1 sprog

HTH
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          I love bimmers, me. I'd recommend the new 3 series Touring but they are outside your budget.

If you want a good estate, look no further than the new Skoda Octavia Estate (yes, really.) Starting at £16900, it is a little over budget but comes decently equipped (back end even looks bimmerish).

When my 3 Series goes, I'll seriously consider the Octavia or Rapid as they come in hatchback version too.
          Yes Skoda Octavia Estate, really tough and reliable and often used as taxis
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Crikey Saab cars are almost free now.

A 9-5 estate and spend the other £14K out of your £15K budget on something else.....
            Sad isn't it Saab was a good choice of car in its day.

Mine was a seriously fast brat wagon that attracted no attention and kept my family safe.

I am going to treat myself to a New SL in the next month or so. If I go for the 350 it will only just be faster than my 95... I could always sell a kidney and take the 500 though

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              With

On the back.
              Is Volvo associated with God-botherers then, never knew that. I think these days either a beat up old Fiesta/Micra or a Prius would be more likely!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Get a 4X4 and cut out the intermediate estate car stage...I assume you will want more than 1 sprog

HTH
                Pound for pound 4x4's have less space, are slower and handle like boats, as a road car the only advantage is the visibility shirley?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Is Volvo associated with God-botherers then, never knew that. I think these days either a beat up old Fiesta/Micra or a Prius would be more likely!
                  Kurt Cobain had a Volvo 240, paranoid about safety but blew his own head off whilst high on heroine.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Pound for pound 4x4's have less space, are slower and handle like boats, as a road car the only advantage is the visibility shirley?
                    Less space - with the 3rd set of seats down definitely, with all seats up - my 4x4 wins
                    Handle like boats - agreed
                    Slower - definitely

Ability to move seven people is useful once the sprog gets to school age
                    Survivability in a crash with kids is better
                    Winter travel is better
                    As your sprog gets older & you get toys like boats / caravans then towing ability becomes a factor
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      Less space - with the 3rd set of seats down definitely, with all seats up - my 4x4 wins
                      Handle like boats - agreed
                      Slower - definitely

Ability to move seven people is useful once the sprog gets to school age
                      Survivability in a crash with kids is better
                      Winter travel is better
                      As your sprog gets older & you get toys like boats / caravans then towing ability becomes a factor
                      My wifes little Mazda 5 has 7 seats.

Crash survivability maybe but you could argue that you're more likely to crash a top heavy vehicle that takes longer to stop, as for winter driving the stopping is just as important as the going! Towing yes, it definitely pays to have bulk.

Each to their own I guess as everyone has different requirements, quick roomy and thrifty are mine so a 4x4 doesn't suit me but a 530d estate would.

Comment

Working...
                      X