• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Uncle Ronnie died today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Ronnie.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      My Condolences.

Many did us a silent service that we can't repay.
      Well put

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        My Condolences.

Many did us a silent service that we can't repay.
        Indeed. My Condolences.
        My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

my dad spent a few years in the far east on a carrier. They used to be based in Trincomalee in Ceylon, now Sri Lanka, and they whizzed around the Indian Ocean trying to find Japanese ships to sink.
          When the allies started to push the japs back in Burma, they docked in a burmese port for a few days, and he saw this compound surrounded by a ditch and barbed wire.
          At first he thought they were prisoners of war because they were ragged, covered in sores, filth and they stank. They glowered through the wire and he said he wasn't even sure if they were human.
          Turned out they were British, just back from the jungle waiting to be de-loused, de-wormed and de-gunged
          maybe Ronnie was amongst them.forgotten heroes in a forgotten war
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            My Grandfather spent 10 years in India in the RAF, before, during and after the war and would never speak of it. Seems to be a common theme.
            Probably served with mine, he was in the RAF in India . he never spoke of it either.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

My condolences.
              My grandfather also served in the RAF in India during the war. I still don't know what he did. He didn't see my Dad for 5 years. He would send meccano (sp) back as you could not get it in the UK.
              My other grandfather served in North Africa with the Desert Rats and was wounded there. Once he fully recovered he went to France on D-Day +5. He did mine clearance if what I've been told is true. Very brave man.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
              Beer
              is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ditto my father, fought in India, Burma and Malaya. Never talked about it, hated the Japanese till the day he died for what they did.

I take great pride in the fact that my father and grandfather fought in both world wars, and I've had their medals framed professionally, look really spectacular.

All those old soldiers / sailors / airmen were heroes. My old man must be turning in his grave at some of the things that go on in this country. Well, he would be if he hadn't been cremated.

Comment

My uncle was there too. I still have the Samurai sword he gave me that he took off a dead Jap. My metal baseball bat would probably be a more practical weapon in case of burglars but taking a head off like Tom Cruise did in 7th Samurai would be really cool.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Now the hard part, arranging carrying for the funeral, speaking to his one surviving sister, my only remaining aunty, I really want to carry like I did for my mum and dad and two of my aunties, and I want my son to carry too, as a kind of generations thing.

My lad is only 18 but I think it's time for him to see a bit of real life, maybe I'm being a bit OTT tho....

Carrying is so hard, I've hated ever time I've done it but never regretted it, tough but part of life I feel...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Now the hard part, arranging carrying for the funeral, speaking to his one surviving sister, my only remaining aunty, I really want to carry like I did for my mum and dad and two of my aunties, and I want my son to carry too, as a kind of generations thing.

My lad is only 18 but I think it's time for him to see a bit of real life, maybe I'm being a bit OTT tho....

Carrying is so hard, I've hated ever time I've done it but never regretted it, tough but part of life I feel...
                      18 is a good age. its a real and honorable responsibility
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X