• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Uncle Ronnie died today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is one story in family legend about him, hope it's true!

Apparently sometime after the war he got hauled into court for riding his bike on the pavement, the Judge asked him to accept the charge, and he simply said 'Not on your Nelly'. Was all over the local paper!

Not much of a story given what goes on today, but for the 50's extreme insolence!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      89, joined up in 1940, spent the end of the war in the Far East - no one in the family knows what happened but it was to do with Japanese Snipers, spent the rest of his life a hermit - he'd hardly speak to anyone at all, let alone talk about the war, makes you wonder what he saw.

RIP Unc
      By the accounts of my grandfather, probably some extremely disturbing sights. RIP indeed.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
        My Granddad 92 and still going strong, was in the Navy loves to tell a few stories, and in fact they are great tales.. his brother on the other hand, was out in the far East, would never speak to a sole about it either, even to my Granddad..
        When I was a nipper a standard question was "What did your dad do during the war?"

I could never answer that because my father simply never spoke on the subject.

Eventually when I was about 40 he told me that at the age of 19 he had seen his CO take a direct shell hit.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

There is one story in family legend about him, hope it's true!

Apparently sometime after the war he got hauled into court for riding his bike on the pavement, the Judge asked him to accept the charge, and he simply said 'Not on your Nelly'. Was all over the local paper!

Not much of a story given what goes on today, but for the 50's extreme insolence!
          Good on him. A small act of resistance against jobsworths, regulators and busybodies. I hope you bought him a pint for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Good on him. A small act of resistance against jobsworths, regulators and busybodies. I hope you bought him a pint for that.
            Are you saying I was 18 in the 50's??!!

Comment

Are you saying I was 18 in the 50's??!!
              You could have bought him a pint 50 years after his glorious day.

Comment

Here's the old fella....

Comment

My Condolences.

Many did us a silent service that we can't repay.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    He never talked that much about it although he did teach me what to do should I ever find myself being bled white by leeches.

And you didn't shoot Tony & Gordon - shame.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

My Grandfather spent 10 years in India in the RAF, before, during and after the war and would never speak of it. Seems to be a common theme.

My other Grandfather managed to be an aide to a general in Bomber Command, which sounds quite cushy. I suppose somebody had to do it.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X