• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid journalists who propagated the MMR scare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    yes you can
    So you expect journalists to visit every lab where scientific papers are published and verify all the data and processes are valid?

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
      So you expect journalists to visit every lab where scientific papers are published and verify all the data and processes are valid?
      no. do you ? who does ?

the journalists got a headline, it was sensational and they sold papers. They banged on about it even though it was one man, one flakey study and they did not present the counter arguments. They did not give any clues about the study or the methods, probably because they did not understand them.
      Even when the doubts started creeping in, such as the tiny size of the study, they would not let go

it was sensationalism, pure and simple.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The results were published and the experts said "you still need to get your children vaccinated or they will die". "If there is a risk, it's very very small, much smaller than dying of measles". (I paraphrase).

The journalists convinced the sheeple that the experts were wrong (I mean, what does an expert know when faced with parental instinct). The stories made out the risk of autism to be massively higher than they were, and the risk of measles was something not to worry about. You can read a decent analysis of it from Ben Goldacre's book - Bad Science.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If one wants to make a decision based on science then do not consult a newspaper not least a sensationalist tabloid like the Daily Mail. Science makes non-normative statements, newspapers do not. Not one person had died of measles in 14 years prior to these newpaper campaigns. Unfortunately there have been deaths since.
          Last edited by ZARDOZ; 15 April 2013, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I despair of the human stupidity I see around me.
            Agree. I know a few people who are anti vaccination. They can't seem to give a coherent reason why they shouldn't have them.

Their arguments:

1. The vaccine is harmful (usually cites some anecdotal evidence from someone who felt a bit poorly after having one)

True, but the disease it prevents is about 10,000 times worse. Overall people are much better to take the vaccine than to get the disease.

2. There is a low risk of getting the disease

True, but only because a critical mass of the population were vaccinated. When lots of people fail to take up the vaccine and then you get an outbreak because herd immunity breaks down. Ironically this usually happens in groups of "like minded" friends and families who are anti vaccination.

3. My baby was breast fed so the child has inherited my immunity.

Breast feeding is great for the baby but not good enough to protect the child. They need the vaccinations to be properly protected.

4. Herd immunity will protect us

Only if a critical mass of the population are immunised! So maybe they think that everyone else should have the vaccine and not them? But what about the people with weakened immunities, the very old or very young, those who have medical conditions which mean they can't be vaccinated or are immunocompromised? Not getting immunised threatens vulnerable people like this.

5. Vaccines don't work 100% of the time!

See 4. That's why we need herd immunity.

The idiots who wrote the scaremongering stories in the papers should be held to account. I hope they are proud of themselves.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

This is how I remember it.

1.Government - we have this new MMR jab
              its cheaper

2. OK so has it been tested?
              Not really but the vaccines have been tested separately.

3. If we want to can we go for the single vaccines
              No we removed those because we know best, shut up & give your kids MMR you peasant.

4. Wakefield releases peer reviewed journal suggesting that the MMR combination may cause immune system overload and possibly Autism, a disease that has been increasing in decades with no identifiable cause.

5. Questions asked of NHS - are these safe? If so what large scale trial do we base this on?
              We Don't know, we know best, shut up and take your medicine you peasant.

This is the same government that had spent years telling us TB & HIV increasing had nothing to do with immigration.

6. Wakefield called a liar.
              No equivalent research done at time.

7. So Prime minister is your son vaccinated ?
              NOT TELLING YOU, we know best, shut up & give your kids MMR - peasant.

8. 5 -10 years later Wakefield convicted as a liar.
              Still not sure why measles cells found in gut.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

OK so has it been tested?

You might remember what you read in the press but ALL medicines are tested for safety and efficacy.

How do I know that vaccination is safe? - Vaccinations - NHS Choices

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Numero 3 was, of course, the prime culprit.
                The press scare was, combined with stupid people who sucked it up.
                Last edited by ZARDOZ; 16 April 2013, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

1.Government - we have this new MMR jab
                  its cheaper

2. OK so has it been tested?

3. If we want to can we go for the single vaccines
                  No we removed those because we know best, shut up & give your kids MMR you peasant.

4. Wakefield releases peer reviewed journal suggesting that the MMR combination may cause immune system overload and possibly Autism, a disease that has been increasing in decades with no identifiable cause.

5. Questions asked of NHS - are these safe? If so what large scale trial do we base this on?
                  We Don't know, we know best, shut up and take your medicine you peasant.

This is the same government that had spent years telling us TB & HIV increasing had nothing to do with immigration.

6. Wakefield called a liar.
                  No equivalent research done at time.

7. So Prime minister is your son vaccinated ?
                  NOT TELLING YOU, we know best, shut up & give your kids MMR - peasant.

8. 5 -10 years later Wakefield convicted as a liar.
                  Still not sure why measles cells found in gut.
                  WHS

For many people it wasn't just Wakefield's supposed results, but as much a feeling that the MMR was being pushed a bit too obsessively and prematurely by a penny-pinching Government, and that they may have cut corners safety-wise.

Also, although Wakefield's methods have been rightly discredited, nobody to my knowledge has conclusively excluded the possibility that MMR might have an effect on gut bacteria which could release toxins or something and adversely affect brain development leading to autism.

I mean for a start, didn't MMR vaccine use highly dangerous mercury compounds as preservatives? It's well known that organic mercury compounds can have a drastic effect on the brain.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    ...nobody to my knowledge has conclusively excluded the possibility that MMR ...could release toxins or something .
                    Nobody has conclusively excluded the possibility that the letters MMR cause terminal stupidity either.
                    Or something.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                      You might remember what you read in the press but ALL medicines are tested for safety and efficacy.

How do I know that vaccination is safe? - Vaccinations - NHS Choices

The press scare was, combined with stupid people who sucked it up.

The Ford Pinto was tested for safety

Ford Pinto Fuel-Fed Fires | The Center for Autosafety

the MMR jab had exemption from some tests due to the individual components having been tested.

The overload effect was not tested fully or with a true general population (sick kids receiving MMR are more likely to have side effects, I cannot believe the kids in the trial were permitted to receive the MMR if they were sick).

Obviously being a stupid person I believe credible sources like this

Former science chief: 'MMR fears coming true' | Mail Online

Dr Peter Fletcher, who was Chief Scientific Officer at the Department of Health, said if it is proven that the jab causes autism, "the refusal by governments to evaluate the risks properly will make this one of the greatest scandals in medical history".

He added that after agreeing to be an expert witness on drug-safety trials for parents' lawyers, he had received and studied thousands of documents relating to the case which he believed the public had a right to see.

He said he has seen a "steady accumulation of evidence" from scientists worldwide that the measles, mumps and rubella jab is causing brain damage in certain children.

But he added: "There are very powerful people in positions of great authority in Britain and elsewhere who have staked their reputations and careers on the safety of MMR and they are willing to do almost anything to protect themselves."
                      He is obviously a numbnut. So glad the CUK experts can help.

Now whether you believe the overall benefits of MMR outweigh the risks then fine, so long as care is taken. But it smelt awfully of a cover up with certain people getting back handers / social capital from supporting MMR.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X