• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the catch with buying a cheap Landrovers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.8 Petrol (which many of those Freelanders are) is thirsty, gutless and suffers from that infamous Rover K-series head gasket issue. The 2.5 petrol V6 is incredibly thirsty and still only just about OK for go - and needs the twin cambelts changing at a fairly low mileage (forget exact) which is a min £400 job.

The early diesels are the Maestro/Montego (I am not kidding) Perkins sourced diesel and are reliable, economical and totally gutless. The later Td4 is a the BMW engine from the old 3-series and Rover 75 - parts are really expensive and they aren't that reliable or economical (or fast).#

The 4wd system has a IRD and Viscous coupling which are trouble and expensive to replace with the result that a lot of people just disconnect the rear drive altogether as they can be a few hundred each to replace/rebuild. I would test drive carefully and check all the driveshafts are actually there if you want 4WD - then go and buy a Honda HRV, CRV or a Scooby Forester or Outback.

Comment

My general view of the having owned a Range rover vogue v8 and currently owning a discovery 3 (another v8) is that they are fantastic but will go wrong at least once a year and will cost you at least a grand when they do.

It will normally go bang the first time it gets really cold/icy/wet/or just because it wants to come inside for a bit.

The diesels really don't return much more to the gallon than the petrol ( we get about 27mpg out of the disco and the diesel guys don't seem to get more than 29)

Comment

To answer Dim's question, the Discovery looks the best model.

But Range Rovers look even better, if I can get a used Range Rover L322 for under about 12K

(Thanks Five Times for pointing out that post code in the link! )
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The disco and rr sport share the same chassis and ride quality.
          The RR is the top of the tree. Look out for autobiography or vogue for the most toys. If you are going for it I would look for a supercharged model. The turbo deasels suffer a bit of lag.

Just remember even whe these cars are new and in good condition they are a pain in the arse. So I would budget 5k for ironing out issues if you buy something at the foot of the market.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

(Thanks Five Times for pointing out that post code in the link! )
            Well, if that's where you live, where on earth are you going to park it? Or is it for the country estate?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Well, if that's where you live, where on earth are you going to park it? Or is it for the country estate?
              Haven't you been there? It's overflowing with the things.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Anyway, to answer the OP, the main catch is that you end up with a cheap Landrover, which is something I'd try and avoid personally, although I suppose it's preferable an expensive one.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If you want a Landy for any reason other than you think they look good (ie you actually want to use it off road, for towing or as a proper working vehicle) get a Defender or an old series 3. They don't look as flash, although a fully kitted out Defender does have a certain presence, but they have bullet proof reliability and will go anywhere if you put the right tyres on them. Defenders are a bit more up market and have more modern accessories but you can fix a series three by the side of the road with basic tools and since the body work is aluminium they don't rust either.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                  X