• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The devil wears asda

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It was too good to be true, landed new gig not long after finishing another.

Gig turns out not to be sold as seen, pretty much from day 3, so one thing was said in the interview, and it turns out not to be the case.

Then there's the line manger I deal with.... if anyone has ever seen the devil wears prada, then its the male version of that. Not sure how much longer I can put up with silly mind games. I get asked to schedule project meetings, only to turn up and get asked what the meeting was for. I get asked for a summary document only for then to be told they wanted the whole thing. Any time I have a meeting with this person I summarise in an e-mail what's been said as I make sure I'm covering my ar$e but this person then denies what they said.
    If this person was a women then the mood swings would be logical ( sorry girls), but getting your head bitten off for no reason, turning up at meetings scheduled only to be asked where is x documents I asked you to bring, when they didn't or hadn't sent them in the first place. Then I get hassle about not being able to make meetings they schedule well after office hours.

I'm think i'm beginning to figure out why my predecessor left.

I'm also not sure I can put up with this much longer......................

The only incentive to stay is the market is carp here.
    Either he's just scatty and, being aware of his shortcomings, defensive.

Or he's plain psychotic, after years of puffing pot in the evenings and weekends.

Or, if he wasn't at your interview(s), perhaps he feels you were imposed on him and his apparent hostility and obstructiveness is the result. By rights it should make no difference and someone should be grateful for any competent help they can get. But in the permie world, with its political BS and machinations, people often feel disgruntled if decisions affecting them are made on their behalf, and one example is being assigned some contractor they were not involved in hiring.

Or maybe it's something else entirely
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Either he's just scatty and, being aware of his shortcomings, defensive.

Or he's plain psychotic, after years of puffing pot in the evenings and weekends.

Or, if he wasn't at your interview(s), perhaps he feels you were imposed on him and his apparent hostility and obstructiveness is the result. By rights it should make no difference and someone should be grateful for any competent help they can get. But in the permie world, with its political BS and machinations, people often feel disgruntled if decisions affecting them are made on their behalf, and one example is being assigned some contractor they were not involved in hiring.

Or maybe it's something else entirely
      Or maybe he has deep feelings for Nor and doesnt want it to spill out at work ?

Comment

1- Stop writing an summary emails after you meet with him, he obviously doesn't want these things in writing
        2- If you are asked to schedule a meeting, ask him what will it be about, if he has so many meetings it could be that he forgot or whatever, but in any case insist on a meeting reason/agenda before scheduling it
        3- Same as above if schedule any meeting insist on knowing what handouts or paper you need to bring to that meeting

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          LOL. Remember my Mrs went to some dodgy clinic for diet pills. One of the side effects was severe mood swings...

She has been on some crazy Lighter Life Total diet, till her doctor told her stop
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
            1- Stop writing an summary emails after you meet with him, he obviously doesn't want these things in writing
            2- If you are asked to schedule a meeting, ask him what will it be about, if he has so many meetings it could be that he forgot or whatever, but in any case insist on a meeting reason/agenda before scheduling it
            3- Same as above if schedule any meeting insist on knowing what handouts or paper you need to bring to that meeting
            And you don't think I ask what these ate about or what I need to bring.

And when I do bring what's requested, he's changed his mind.

As for meetings, he's mostly in the same ones as me.

There's no winning. I think I need to become psychic.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

And you don't think I ask what these ate about or what I need to bring.

And when I do bring what's requested, he's changed his mind.

As for meetings, he's mostly in the same ones as me.

There's no winning. I think I need to become psychic.
              If you are very unhappy there and don't think you can work with him, then you have one option, find another contract, life is too short, seriously.

Comment

Could be "constructive dismissal" behaviour i.e. deliberately making it impossible to do your job.
                In my 20 years in various so called blue-chips I've seen that often enough.
                In fact when it comes to management it's usually that or sheer incomepetence.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

or get some of the 'boys' to take him outside and have a quiet 'word' like?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Could be "constructive dismissal" behaviour i.e. deliberately making it impossible to do your job.
                    In my 20 years in various so called blue-chips I've seen that often enough.
                    Agree.

Comment

Am trying to adjust accordingly but difficult when you don't know what to expect. I can brace myself for meetings, but when they come to your desk unexpectedly or grab you in the corridor you can't prep for that.

Coupled with the fact this person is not the brightest spark and paranoid to book and has pissed off several members of senior staff.

How dare you come on a public forum and talk about me. See me in my office in 30 minutes and bring the whole sprint plan and deliverables for that project I haven't told you about yet!
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X