• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The devil wears asda

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

How dare you come on a public forum and talk about me. See me in my office in 30 minutes and bring the whole sprint plan and deliverables for that project I haven't told you about yet!
    Ah.
    No.
    Ted.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Second that if nobber wasn't involved in hiring, had this a few times. If they have hired you, often get more leeway as they want to justify their decision. If imposed on them it can be a problem, have to convince from scratch, might have totally diff ideas about what's needed.
      Got hired for one job, walked off another one (yeah I know, just too good to turn down). I get there and hiring chap is no longer there, new chap comes in first day and says - I don't know what you are doing here, I wouldn't have hired you and I should have been consulted about it happening.
      I said - 'I hope I can change that opinion' and I did see out the contract but the relationship with nob features did not improve from this point but at least I knew from day one and could make sure I managed him accordingly.
      I also deliberately stayed till the bitter end even though the 2 people I was covering came back from mat. leave early. I can be very stubborn and they were paying a lot of money !

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Am trying to adjust accordingly but difficult when you don't know what to expect. I can brace myself for meetings, but when they come to your desk unexpectedly or grab you in the corridor you can't prep for that.

Coupled with the fact this person is not the brightest spark and paranoid to book and has pissed off several members of senior staff.
        It does sound difficult. Like SAS says though, I'd probably stick it out a bit longer if he's known to be a twat.

Good luck nor
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Could be "constructive dismissal" behaviour i.e. deliberately making it impossible to do your job.
          In my 20 years in various so called blue-chips I've seen that often enough.
          In fact when it comes to management it's usually that or sheer incomepetence.
          She's not permie.

Poor guy is probably insecure. You've pitched up and seem to be competent, and worse still, you're a woman!

Either:

Play the game and get him on side - make out like you think he's the bees knees and knows lots of stuff

Or:

Tell him to do one.

Depends how much you need the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            She's not permie.

Poor guy is probably insecure. You've pitched up and seem to be competent, and worse still, you're a woman!

Either:

Play the game and get him on side - make out like you think he's the bees knees and knows lots of stuff

Or:

Tell him to do one.

Depends how much you need the gig.
            Insecure, paranoid, rude and not very bright. The gig seems to be a justification for his role, I'm not doing anything remotely related to my skills, he seems to want someone senior doing a very junior role.

I leave him to it, and avoid him if at all possible. He seems to think there's a lot more involved in my role, but I'm supposedly backing him up, and his role involves feck all as well.

I'm looking for a new gig, but the cloggy market is carp, if you're not fluent in cloggy ( believe me I'm getting a hell of a lot of practice in atm). I have a good personal warchest, but the company warchest isn't brilliant ( cloggy limiteds do not work the same way as UK, you have to pay a proper salary and appropriate taxes, you cannot take a salary break, if I do I lose my expat discount tax ruling, which I do not want to).

Looks like I'll put my head down and try not to kill anyone until summat comes up.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Surely you mean the devil from c&a.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
              X