• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK fodder - History not Muslim enough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're in Britain now, learn some British history you bunch of ******** heathens!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Given the number of foreign kids in our schools, if there was 10 minutes of history for each background there would never be time to teach anything else. Forgetting all this vague "understanding our roots" stuff the only practical use of history is to create an enjoyable interest for adult life and as we only have British castles, stately homes etc. British history is the only relevant one for that.
      Britain's history is not only about castles & stately homes. A big part is also the industrial revolution and the empire - it could be argued that they fueled each other. And as a consequence of the empire, British history is quite incomplete without taking into account history of a large part of the world.
      Last edited by yetanotherbob; 10 April 2013, 17:31. Reason: grammar

Comment

British history is quite incomplete without taking into account history of a large part of the world
        I agree an overview of world history is desirable but there is not time available to go into the details some want simply to make some minorities feel included. The fuss about including Mary Secole for example, she just wasn't that important. I don't recall covering Florence Nightingale at school, she wasn't considered that important either, this is purely In pursuit of an inclusive agenda. Are we similarly supposed to include contributions by figures from Poland, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria etc etc (add about 400 other nations here) in the national curriculum?

Also a wider history of the world is one thing, but some here are clearly looking for much more than that, its all supposed to be an exercise to persuade children of the wonders of our diverse society. That's probably why they don't like the emphasis on British history as our diverse society is only about 70 years old. Before 1945, the UK was actually a very homogenous one by world standards.

PS Amazed nobody has spotted that one of the historians supporting the new curriculum is David Starkey. Missed a great "argument" there lefties!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

my daughters are already doing essays on 'what was wrong with the empire'

I was naughty and encouraged my kids to point out the benefits to both sides.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Inclined to agree with the "other side" on that one. The empire was appalling. I see nothing positive about invading other people's countries and imposing our "enlightened" civilisation on them. The best you can say about the British empire was that some others were far worse.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Inclined to agree with the "other side" on that one. The empire was appalling. I see nothing positive about invading other people's countries and imposing our "enlightened" civilisation on them.
              So you would see nothing positive about the Roman invasion of Britain?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                So you would see nothing positive about the Roman invasion of Britain?
                Bah! What did the Romans ever do for us?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Bah! What did the Romans ever do for us?
                  KUATB
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    You're in Britain now, learn some British history you bunch of ******** heathens!
                    Or history of 75% of countries in the world

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Muslims invented aqueducts and wolf nipple chips? Well I never.

Comment

Working...
                      X