• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for Swiss expats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Suity is off to Germany soon. I only wish I was there to see him fawning and gurning when they call him an "island monkey", without him knowing.
    Or a tea bag.

"Er trägt Kinderschuhe" is a phrase that comes to mind, but Good Luck Suity if you can manage it!
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Or a tea bag.

"Er trägt Kinderschuhe" is a phrase that comes to mind, but Good Luck Suity if you can manage it!
      He carries children's shoes?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I hope your contract doesn't say anything about you being a Schochtlwirt
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          I hope your contract doesn't say anything about you being a Schochtlwirt
          ???

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            I wouldn't bother. MF is on more than that from memory.
            Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            One made up salary per thread please.
            Well, one doesn't like to boast, but...

What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Its Swiss Francs, gross. Permie role (Senior stato at pharma).
              Package on top includes relocation for family, rent paid for 3 months, full medical, canteen etc.
              I'm surprised at that. Medical coverage included is very uncommon, even for senior positions. Usually it only applies to expats on secondment. In terms of UK standard of living, I'd say that is equivalent to a salary of £100K.

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Basle is French and Basel is German I think..
              Bâle is the French. Basle is English.
              Originally posted by clickuk View Post
              Private Health insurance is mandatory
              But the NI equivalent is a lot lower, so the overall cost, compared to the UK is less - especially if you're on a high salary.
              Otherwise a great place to be if your with family, would be a bit boring eventually if singleton
              I know singles who have a great time here.
              local language being high german
              No. The local language is Baslerdeutsch, a middle Allemanic dialect. (The rest of German speaking Switzerland speak a high Allemanic dialect). The local official language is Swiss High German - which is different from that spoken in Germany.
              It is pronounced and spelt as Bale (baal) locally…
              Only by the French (and middle-class English). It's Basel to the locals. You really don't know what you're talking about do you?

Anyway - I live in Basel, so are you really sure about this sas? You should post your question in www.englishforum.ch; should provoke a good flaming.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I'm surprised at that. Medical coverage included is very uncommon, even for senior positions. Usually it only applies to expats on secondment. In terms of UK standard of living, I'd say that is equivalent to a salary of £100K.

Bâle is the French. Basle is English.
                But the NI equivalent is a lot lower, so the overall cost, compared to the UK is less - especially if you're on a high salary.
                I know singles who have a great time here.
                No. The local language is Baslerdeutsch, a middle Allemanic dialect. (The rest of German speaking Switzerland speak a high Allemanic dialect). The local official language is Swiss High German - which is different from that spoken in Germany.
                Only by the French (and middle-class English). It's Basel to the locals. You really don't know what you're talking about do you?

Anyway - I live in Basel, so are you really sure about this sas? You should post your question in www.englishforum.ch; should provoke a good flaming.

Comment

they did mention somehting about medical benefits, didn't look too closely.
                  Anyway - I live in Basel, so are you really sure about this sas? .
                  Was more curious than anything , since it is a lot more than a permie stato would get here.
                  But all in all, we're better off here I think.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Is £220K p.a. Swiss francs (permie) a good salary in Basle nowadays?
                    I doubt they would want to hire someone who doesn't have the basic mathematic skills to work that out on their own.

Try this

BBC - Standard Grade Bitesize Maths I - Foreign exchange : Revision

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
                      I doubt they would want to hire someone who doesn't have the basic mathematic skills to work that out on their own.

Try this

BBC - Standard Grade Bitesize Maths I - Foreign exchange : Revision
                      Ah you're back, thus lowering both the tone and the average IQ substantially.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X