• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh bother

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suity, don't forget that we're heading towards the end of the financial year so a lot of projects are being held back.

See what April brings.

Comment

How old are you?

How's your warchest?

Plan b time?

Might be just the time to jump ship completely. It took 12 weeks for me to go from "where's my next gig coming from" to "hello, how can I help" (and no, I'm not a burger flipper, or call centre chicken)

Comment

Oh bother

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        It's not though. Why won't you just listen for a second? You are the one telling me I am being given good advice and how I should be listening? Yet I am the one who is consistently being knocked back for roles because I don't have the relevant industry experience.

How do I counter that? "But but but I have lots of experience relevant to the role, I've done this role countless times at xyz company" just doesn't cut it. Unless you have an RBS/London markets/PPI/Cards/Payments/Whatever the lofty skill I don't have is I am getting nowhere.

For the sake of the peace I will say thanks for all the advice, you've been a big help I will mull it all over.

If of course anyone has a bright idea how to stop getting knocked back, and this pertains to how to "blag" experience I don't have to pass the first sift then I would be most keen to hear it.

Not sure what your cv is like but I suspect in lists your contracts in chronological order. A different way to so it would be to list your limited company as the employer, then give. List of case studies. Here you would draw out all the stuff you have done relating to the contract you are applying for. Google Matt craven contractor cv- he is linked to the pcg. Try and watch his webinar, some fantastic ideas there.
        "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
        Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Thanks for all the positive advice and help I received on here today. I know you're busy people so thank you.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by corndog
            Perhaps your own advice is best?
            He's not on plan B yet.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Thanks for all the positive advice and help I received on here today. I know you're busy people so thank you.
              Ok this is how it is. You've left development- transferable skillset and youve bumbled into BA work thinking like a dev. Wrong. BA is mainly not a transferable skillet across industries. Only easy BA stuff like building interfaces between two similar systems is vaguely transferable. BAs live by their domain knowledge. Hence your current difficulty- you have no domain knowledge- and it takes years to get. How have you ended up skint and in this foreseeable situation? You are frankly a middle-tier (at best) operator. How do you expect to shine in this market?

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                Ok this is how it is. You've left development- transferable skillset and youve bumbled into BA work thinking like a dev. Wrong. BA is mainly not a transferable skillet across industries. Only easy BA stuff like building interfaces between two similar systems is vaguely transferable. BAs live by their domain knowledge. Hence your current difficulty- you have no domain knowledge- and it takes years to get. How have you ended up skint and in this foreseeable situation? You are frankly a middle-tier (at best) operator. How do you expect to shine in this market?
                Why don't you sugarcoat that a but?
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                X