• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting out of a wedding - advice for friend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A friend (no really not me!) has just broken off her engagement just over 4 months in the future. Apart from everything else, the venue are saying she has to pay basically the entire fee - they were doing it relatively cheaply on their own money but it's still £4000. She paid £500 deposit which is obviously gone but apparently it's booked in her name alone.

It sounds pretty mercenary to demand the full fee this far ahead to me, but what should she do? Just tell them where to get off and leave them the deposit? Make a big song and dance? Go and cry in front of the organisation so they feel bad?

I haven't yet seen any contract/paperwork/T&Cs she agreed to but I'd think this is more about negotiation than strict contract wording?
    Well to be honest unless it's in the contract they can fook off. Our wedding venue is the same for deposits.

First deposit was to pay £250 to agree/hold the date
    Then a 25% interim payment of £5000 6 months before
    Then we have to pay the balance 6 weeks before the wedding.

If we walk now we lose the £5250

Four months is plenty of time. What did the fee consist of? Was it the hire of the venue + food/meals etc, because if so the venue hasn't lost anything.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Check the paperwork for cancellation dates. And even then reply sue me for it. then add by the way I'll play the poor innocent party in the press.

The local rags love this kind of story especially if the person is photogenic. It takes a lot to fill the Northern Echo daily.
      She's a friend of Doogies.

What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
        They'd have to prove they actually lost out. It's unlikely that they will get away with claiming that 4 months wasn't enough time to find another couple to hire the venue.
        Agree with that. Even if they didn't find another booking for the venue, their losses would only amount to the profit they would have made on the deal, not the amount the couple would have paid them!

Tell them to sod off.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Cant the friend just postpone the wedding ? Or could they use the same venue for a birthday party so they make use of the deposit ?

Comment

Bleein eck! My marriage at Brixton registry office cost me about 12 quid I think. Prob. about twice as much as the wedding ring but the missus paid for that anyway.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Bleein eck! My marriage at Brixton registry office cost me about 12 quid I think. Prob. about twice as much as the wedding ring but the missus paid for that anyway.
              And they say romance is dead.

What's the point of taking a deposit if you demand the full amount if cancelled?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                Even if there was a contract to that effect, I'd chance it and let them try and take me to court over it. Chances are those sort of terms aren't enforceable.

They'd have to prove they actually lost out. It's unlikely that they will get away with claiming that 4 months wasn't enough time to find another couple to hire the venue.
                +1
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

FFS, call yourselves contractors ......

Offer to send a substitute.

They'll give her the money back plus interest.

Comment

Bleein eck! My marriage at Brixton registry office cost me about 12 quid I think.
                    Which is 542 Thai Baht.

So the wedding cost more than the bride.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

I think mine cost about £500 but that did cover hiring a venue, catering and a disco. Another £500 for honeymoon!
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X