• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yesterdays potential day billing was sent mostly sitting in A+E (and sleeping)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    And the rapid turning away of non emergency at A&E should be done regardless of eligibility we need to reclaim A&E.

Those with Alcohol related violence injuries should be dealt with by the police as well.
    Yep. When we were there police dropped off a fella found wandering around pissed up. Quite why he needs to be in A&E I'll never know.

He caused loads of hassle for the staff while there (police dumped him and then buggered off), then after a few hours, sobered up a bit, and wandered off home anyway.

Not sure what happened with my Mrs. Maybe because she had been there earlier on in the day and had arrived back and, for whatever reason, she was wrongly classified.

But this piss head and the polish fella with the chest infection got seen before her. All the while, shes sitting there in agony, struggling to breathe, pregnant. After a few hours, had a polite word with the nurse but that made bugger all difference.

But when she did get seen they seemed to go overboard then being nice (because I think they realised). Even more so when they realised she was a member of staff at the same hospital.

Unfortunately, not the first time in the last few weeks where things like this have happened.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Only those on tourist visas or other non-LTR visas have no right to free NHS treatment. Everyone is entitled to emergency treatment tho, I think that would also be the case all over the World, apart from USA probably!
      I remember Mrs having a dental emergency out of hours in Florida years and years ago. They wouldn't even let you show up until they got credit card number out of you.

Excellent service mind but it cost an arm and a leg which I had to stump up front. Not that I was bothered because holiday insurance paid for it in the end.

In a way, I think this may be the better option for healthcare.

Comment

The fact remains that it does happen and given that those who can't be arsed to work and also those that gorge themselves on takeaway are already burdening the system it doesn't need anymore added strain.

Here's an anecdote for you Mrs Spartan's older sister has 4 children by the same guy, this guy likes to abuse solvents and has done for many a year so much so he's knackered his body up and cannot work (those he does fixing cars on the side). He had an operation and his heart stopped or something of that nature and they were thinking of suing because of this. He's never contributed in his life and yet the first thing he can think of is there could be money in this despite the fact he's responsible for the state he's in.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          The fact remains that it does happen and given that those who can't be arsed to work and also those that gorge themselves on takeaway are already burdening the system it doesn't need anymore added strain.

Here's an anecdote for you Mrs Spartan's older sister has 4 children by the same guy, this guy likes to abuse solvents and has done for many a year so much so he's knackered his body up and cannot work (those he does fixing cars on the side). He had an operation and his heart stopped or something of that nature and they were thinking of suing because of this. He's never contributed in his life and yet the first thing he can think of is there could be money in this despite the fact he's responsible for the state he's in.
          You dropped the coin on him to the benefits office & HMRC?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Oi Psycho, how come the little lady wasn't recognised by any of the other staff and why didn't you drop the magic phrase "The wife works here!"?

Comment

I reckon if I planned to do this I could grass up about 20-30 people amongst friends, familty, people I know.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                Oi Psycho, how come the little lady wasn't recognised by any of the other staff and why didn't you drop the magic phrase "The wife works here!"?
                Big hospital. She doesn't work in A&E.

Was tempted but she wouldn't let me because she didn't think it was fair to do so. Amazing how much nicer people are when they know you're a fellow medical professional though.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Big hospital. She doesn't work in A&E.

Was tempted but she wouldn't let me because she didn't think it was fair to do so. Amazing how much nicer people are when they know you're a fellow medical professional though.
                  Nothing wrong with letting on that you work at the hospital, there are few enough perks as it is.

Comment

Despite what d000hg may say I stay out of that malarkey, personally I'd love to but given recent events I do believe they hung themselves and there's even a mention of jail time.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Ok I'll stick me two pennorth in.

Much as the drunken chavs in A&E are annoying ( and they annoy me too) they are not the real problem in the NHS. The real problem is the ageing population who conitnue to live into their 90's but with numerous complex medical conditions that would have seen them off 20 years ago. I am not knocking old people here but it is just a fact. The hospital where I work at present had 14 people in A&E needing beds last week and nowhere to put them. Fact is about 10 years ago they got rid of a lot of older peoples step down beds ( less expensive non acute) thinking they could all go straight home with a bit of help. We all knew it wouldnt work and it hasnt.

Do we really want people not earning contractor's rates to be left in agony if they have a toothache

Do we really want asylum seekers or others who turn up here and then find they have TB to go untreated and end up coughing over your child on the bus?Not health tourists but they really don't know they have it until they get tested here.

As for lifestyle related illness, how would you actually judge this? e.g this week I saw someone who at 65 has just been diagnosed with both vascular dementia probably caused by years of heavy smoking, and MS. She is now heavily disabled but it is impossible to say how much of her current state is caused by each condition. Or a dear friend of mine who is very overweight partly caused by being on heavy steroids for asthma and partly by drinking too much. He has worked all his life.

Real life is not that simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X