• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat-rate State Pension - Opinions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    What is interesting here is the notion that change is impossible. The reasons that are being thrown up are purely negative.
    Change isn't impossible at all, but in this instance it costs more than it would ever be worth (my opinion). In more objective terms: It just costs a hell of a lot.

And it's neither quick nor simple.

Comment

It could be negotiated between saying we're leaving the EU and leaving. BA and Iberia have merged now and AA have ATI with BA so neither the US or the EU will be looking to create onerous trade barriers.

It also means we get out of the stupid carbon tax the EU are imposing.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
        No, not at all. I'm saying that we currently have Open Skies agreements through the EU, for example with the US (EU). If we leave, we'll need to renegotiate independent ones of those as we won't be covered by the existing one, not just with the US, but also with the EU (they may make this less favourable for us). That takes time and is intermittently somewhat unpredictably costly. It can be sorted, but it won't be immediate.

This doesn't just affect low-cost airlines, although no doubt Easyjet and the likes probably profit most from the existing arrangements.

There are many more such policies that an EU exit would affect and that may work out less favorably if the UK applies as a non-EU member.
        I am afraid that it is a red herring. You do not seem to have factored in that the Uk holds an enormous amount of influence and that it would not be in the EUs interests to punish the UK or delay. There are too many "scare" mongerers around and when one looks at their agendas there is no reason to be scared at all.

Yes there will be costs to getting out of the EU but they will most likely be well worth the potential rewards.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

It really depends what we did if we left Dodgy.

If we cut the tax across the board and became effectively an EU tax haven, cut onerous regulation etc then it'd be worth leaving.

If we leave and labour get into power or the tories are too pussy and just continue with the same tripe there's not much point in leaving.
          Last edited by Robinho; 15 January 2013, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            I am afraid that it is a red herring. You do not seem to have factored in that the Uk holds an enormous amount of influence and that it would not be in the EUs interests to punish the UK or delay. There are too many "scare" mongerers around and when one looks at their agendas there is no reason to be scared at all.

Yes there will be costs to getting out of the EU but they will most likely be well worth the potential rewards.
            So considering that people want the UK to leave EU because currently the UK doesn't have enough of a say to dictate their desired terms -

you really think that dictating terms from the outside is going to be any easier? After we've p-ssed them all off?

The UK is influential, no doubt, but nowhere near as as much as the remaining EU would be collectively.

Comment

DA you have a lot of trust in UK politicians.

I have absolutely no trust in the majority of them and the civil servants who support them.

They actually use the EU rules as excuses not to do things properly i.e. giving tenders to companies in other countries when I know full well that other EU countries can and do legally get around the EU tender requirements giving their companies a home advantage so they get awarded them.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X