• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help reqd with car problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a bit of digging and asked a mechanical engineer friend. Came up with this list.

If you have a carburetor, you may have a bad fuel pump or a clogged up carburettor: Service the pump and carburetor. Boarderline DIY.

There may be a vacuum leak: Check and replace vacuum lines as required. Boarderline DIY.

The fuel pressure regulator may be operating at too low a pressure: Check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. Replace fuel pressure regulator. Generally not a DIY job

Idle speed set incorrectly: Set idle speed to specs. DIY.

There may be some type of ignition problem: Check and replace distributor cap, rotor, ignition wires and spark plugs. DIY.

There may be a fault in the engine management system: Check with a scan tool. Test circuits and repair or replace components as required. Not a DIY job

The Exhaust Gas recirculation valve may be bad: Replace it. DIY depending on location and type.

The engine may have mechanical problems: Check compression to determine engine condition. DIY with the right tools.

The fuel injectors may be dirty: Clean or replace fuel injectors. Boardeline DIY.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My twopenneth worth....

Your carb will have 2 jets- one for idling and one for motoring- It may be your idle jet is blocked
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Carbs? We're not living in the 1980's you know.

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG
          Thanks, it would be nice if the solution was as simple as changing the plug leads but the problem you describe seems contradictory to mine. Mine starts fine when hot or cold but just will not idle when started from hot. The revs just drop to 0 and the engine cuts out. However, sounds like a quick and cheap job that EVEN I could do myself to see if it has any effect.
          Do it. The EMS will boost the power through the ignition to start the engine, then drop back to normal as the engine warms up. When you restart ater 10-15 mnutes, the engine is still warm so you get the start boost then it drops back immediately. After an hour, the engine has cooled down so you get the extended uplift and the engine runs. Once everything is warm, it will run anyway. That does explain the symptoms

Golden rule of mechanics - do the simple thing first, then look for complexity.

BTW - if it works, that's £120 an hour please
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            Carbs? We're not living in the 1980's you know.

bugger...626 1.8 is injected... I will diminish and go to the East.... just trying to help

Humph!!
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
              The fuel injectors may be dirty: Clean or replace fuel injectors. Boardeline DIY.
              borderline
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG
                Thanks, it would be nice if the solution was as simple as changing the plug leads but the problem you describe seems contradictory to mine. Mine starts fine when hot or cold but just will not idle when started from hot. The revs just drop to 0 and the engine cuts out. However, sounds like a quick and cheap job that EVEN I could do myself to see if it has any effect.

Sounds like a dirty carburettor. Do you run the fuel down to red line before filing it up again. If so you may have picked up crap from the bottom of the petrol tank. My car (not a Mazda) does the same thing. Had my man clean the carburettor out and it ran fine again until I ranthe tank nearly empty again.
                Too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns.

Comment

How quaint. People driving around in cars with carburettors. Does it have a manual choke and split screen windshield? What about a starting handle?

Comment

No but I do have an opening for a man to walk in front of the car with a red flag.
                    Too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                      Did a bit of digging and asked a mechanical engineer friend. Came up with this list.

If you have a carburetor, you may have a bad fuel pump or a clogged up carburettor: Service the pump and carburetor. Boarderline DIY.

There may be a vacuum leak: Check and replace vacuum lines as required. Boarderline DIY.

The fuel pressure regulator may be operating at too low a pressure: Check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. Replace fuel pressure regulator. Generally not a DIY job

Idle speed set incorrectly: Set idle speed to specs. DIY.

There may be some type of ignition problem: Check and replace distributor cap, rotor, ignition wires and spark plugs. DIY.

There may be a fault in the engine management system: Check with a scan tool. Test circuits and repair or replace components as required. Not a DIY job

The Exhaust Gas recirculation valve may be bad: Replace it. DIY depending on location and type.

The engine may have mechanical problems: Check compression to determine engine condition. DIY with the right tools.

My guess is the idler. When cold, the automatic choke cuts in. When the engine is warm enough only the pressure on the accellerator is keeping up your revs.
                      Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Working...
                      X