• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long before MF has his breakdown?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

If it makes things better I missed youngest's first nativity. Wife not allowed to video it. But they took official official pictures and put them on their website - copyright of the school!

Get well soon mate.
    So they won't let you film it - but you can get copies of pictures of your own child on a website!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Well that's the point. The SMEs are at bursting point. Only two people know the processes in detail and still not end to end. I now own 'systems and processes' which bearing in mind is missive in its own rights & requires huge business knowledge its a struggle. Hence my plan to kick off a BPM project. Start to get business processes documented in a meaningful way. Align them to people & systems, break it into chunks. Bring people in to cover the bases.

Trying to do all of this when effectively sitting in the middle of a blender is tricky. Maybe it's a good thing I could identify we needed to pull the plug for a while on the new launch.
      I think you need to make sure the two people with the knowledge start spreading that knowledge around; rather than documents (I'm not opposed to documenting, but it should be absolutely necessary or should generate a profit) they could be giving hands on training workshops and interactive sessions to their colleagues and you and your team; you could built that into a project format, with set dates at which training will be given and then evaluated. Maybe they have a training officer who can help with that, maybe not, but my point is that you're better off spreading first hand knowledge and insights than spending weeks or months documenting second hand knowledge and then going through approval and acceptance procedures.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Look MF and MTT - could you stop with the sensibleness, this is General you know!
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
          Look MF and MTT - could you stop with the sensibleness, this is General you know!
          Yes, sorry.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It's BPM, so agile by definition. Stop trying to deliver the whole ball of mud. Break this ball of mud into manageable chunks.

Put together a programme you can stick to. Deliver early, deliver repeatedly. A small process can get you an ROI in a short space of time. You need someone with a business benefits realisation hat on to help to bail this out of the tulipe.

Put in place your agile workshops, and have weekly playbacks with your stakeholders. Look to put something live in 4-6 weeks. Then every 2 weeks after that. Descope all the nice to haves and strip it back to basics. Call this phase 1. If you get any pushback just say you are deferring to phase 2. Know when phase 2 is in case they ask.

Call a meeting to outline this approach, to reinvigorate your stakeholders.

Need to grab this one by the balls buddy. Get it under control and into bite sized chunks. Consider how what you will deliver dovetails into existing clunky processes, and have a vision for replacing them. Bit by bit. Not all at once otherwise you will have that breakdown.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              It's BPM, so agile by definition. Stop trying to deliver the whole ball of mud. Break this ball of mud into manageable chunks.

Put together a programme you can stick to. Deliver early, deliver repeatedly. A small process can get you an ROI in a short space of time. You need someone with a business benefits realisation hat on to help to bail this out of the tulipe.

Put in place your agile workshops, and have weekly playbacks with your stakeholders. Look to put something live in 4-6 weeks. Then every 2 weeks after that. Descope al
              l the nice to haves and strip it back to basics. Call this phase 1. If you get any pushback just say you are deferring to phase 2. Know when phase 2 is in case they ask.

Call a meeting to outline this approach, to reinvigorate your stakeholders.

Need to grab this one by the balls buddy. Get it under control and into bite sized chunks. Consider how what you will deliver dovetails into existing clunky processes, and have a vision for replacing them. Bit by bit. Not all at once otherwise you will have that breakdown.
              Thank you.

As it happens I did break it down into 4 phases. Phase 1 was a demo to 600 people in Jan of the basic functionality. With a deployment scheduled end Feb with 70% functionality.

Unfortunately on review and testing the chances of the 13th Jan were looking at 50% likely, then phase 2 20% likely. Phase 3 due to business considerations would be end April.

Given the probabilities of success. The executive sponsors want to move the phasing and not demo something we probably cannot deliver in Feb. (Thank goodness). Previously we had anecdotal evidence of success (yeah that looks about right!)

Now I'm tasked with an interim deployment of some of the new functionality to meet the most critical BR.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Thank you.

As it happens I did break it down into 4 phases. Phase 1 was a demo to 600 people in Jan of the basic functionality. With a deployment scheduled end Feb with 70% functionality.

Unfortunately on review and testing the chances of the 13th Jan were looking at 50% likely, then phase 2 20% likely. Phase 3 due to business considerations would be end April.

Given the probabilities of success. The executive sponsors want to move the phasing and not demo something we probably cannot deliver in Feb. (Thank goodness). Previously we had anecdotal evidence of success (yeah that looks about right!)

Now I'm tasked with an interim deployment of some of the new functionality to meet the most critical BR.
                If the chances of success are 50-50 why not do a pilot with a small group of users. Get them to parallel run for a period if needs be or risk dictates. Do a lessons learned washup and apply to the wider rollout and subsequent phases.

Happy to switch to PMs and take a call on this if you need.

The BPM project that sent me over the edge back in March was of a very similar ilk and if I can do anything to prevent someone going through what I went through, I will. Even if it's you.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

MF it's nice of you to bury the hatchet by pretending to value SY's opinions, but do you really think anyone is buying it?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    MF it's nice of you to bury the hatchet by pretending to value SY's opinions, but do you really think anyone is buying it?
                    Unlike you, Suity doesn't live in a fantasy world.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

#JustSaying
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X