• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Child benefit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    WHS

This whole change in the last 12 months or so that 'We're all in it together' and that companies paying taxes that you can technically find ways to reduce (ie. Starbucks/contractors) are in some way screwing everyone over, coupled with the final straw that the self-employed/cash culture/contractors/comedians are in some way comparable to child molesters/the scum of the earth is fooking joke. I'm surprised we haven't seen a Newsnight/Panorama expose of how Del Boy destroyed the economy!!!

Frankly I'm in it for myself & fook everyone else. Give me my child benefit back!
    You should organise your corporate and personal affairs better. I think I would need to legally draw roughly £140,000 a year from my company before I would be hit by the child benefit rules.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      WHS
      She!

Comment

You can take it, as long as you then go mute about other people taking benefits
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
          Bit surprised that someone wouldn't want to be paid child benefit.

Of course in our line of work we don't 'need' it. But somehow we're all super concerned with paying as little tax as possible and keeping in control of as much of our earnings as we can. (Why else would you only pay yourself up to the higher tax limit?).

What then should feel wrong about claiming (tax funded) child benefit? You paid for it - it's yours.
          Well, on the same basis I could have taken no divvies and got a full maintenance grant for my daughter to go to Uni.

But that, to me, felt "immoral" (i.e. wrong) and I didn't do it.

I suspect your average man on the street would consider it "immoral" that a contractor earning > 60K a year continues to get child benefit.

But in this case I'm not changing what I already do - it's just how it panned out. Still feels wrong though. I expect I'll get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You should organise your corporate and personal affairs better. I think I would need to legally draw roughly £140,000 a year from my company before I would be hit by the child benefit rules.
            Actually I haven't been hit yet. But having gone perm I'm fooked now especially regarding tax! £47k tax & NI you are fooking kidding me!!!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Well, on the same basis I could have taken no divvies and got a full maintenance grant for my daughter to go to Uni.

But that, to me, felt "immoral" (i.e. wrong) and I didn't do it.

I suspect your average man on the street would consider it "immoral" that a contractor earning > 60K a year continues to get child benefit.

But in this case I'm not changing what I already do - it's just how it panned out. Still feels wrong though. I expect I'll get over it.
              I'm glad I'm above average.

Comment

Child benefit

It's only temporary until you head to the states. Then it'll be the $70,000 health care bill you complain about
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  ??? 50K paid out in salary/divis, 40K into a pension ( any more would be daft now ), where's the other 50K going ?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    ??? 50K paid out in salary/divis, 40K into a pension ( any more would be daft now ), where's the other 50K going ?
                    His wife.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                      Donate it to the BNP or UKIP and write to your locale MP to tell them you are doing so.
                      Why have you placed the BNP and UKIP in same sentence like that? Your sentence encourages a belief that the two parties are similar in nature. I can assure you they are not. One is a party run by racist facists (BNP) and the other is a party run by people of all creeds, that want the UK out of the EU.

Don't work for Rochdale council do you?

Comment

Working...
                      X