• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from the front line.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
    All the projects I have worked on have had a project manager already assigned, there was never any opportunity to manage unless I started some Machiavellian plan to get them fired simultaneously acquiring the role all within a 3-12 month contract.

NEXT.
    Excuses. Over the the years your bosses must have taken holiday, been sick, been seconded etc etc. That's how I got in, made myself useful. In fact I've been to lots of places where subbies have leadership positions, but from the look of your replies you're a 'giver upper' and it probably has been noticeable, hence never been asked. Bit like going to a disco and waiting for a girl to pull you.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Excuses. Over the the years your bosses must have taken holiday, been sick, been seconded etc etc. That's how I got in, made myself useful. In fact I've been to lots of places where subbies have leadership positions, but from the look of your replies you're a 'giver upper' and it probably has been noticeable, hence never been asked. Bit like going to a disco and waiting for a girl to pull you.
      As I previously said, I had never been interested in management until now. anyway seems like it requires one to be a brown noser with little integrity, I assume you made it no problem.

Comment

As I previously said, I had never been interested in management until now. anyway seems like it requires one to be a brown noser with little integrity, I assume you made it no problem.
        Don't need to brown nose, just competent. stultissimus.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Oi Russell, you'll never make it. It's because you're a cretin. Geddit?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Oi Russell, you'll never make it. It's because you're a cretin. Geddit?
            Thought I was supposed to be Gentile? Now it's Russell, seems like you are unsure of your own mind and can't make a decision. You WILL make it as a manager.

Comment

While everyone thinks they could manage a project, in fact, most of them can't.

I naturally moved into it from being technical (an engineer). I find that I just naturally take the lead everywhere, not just at work. If you are like that too then maybe there is a possibility but I don't really believe you can learn to be a leader.

More importantly though, I wouldn't recommend it. I would love to go back to being a techie. As PM, you are on the front line more than anyone else. It is miles harder than being a techie and at the moment, rates are piss poor and only getting worse. I could earn more being a programmer with no stress or hassles. I'm currently working on plan B as I think the arse is out of PM'ing and it isn't coming back any time soon.

Best of luck whatever you do.
              Back at the coal face

Comment

You're too stupid to be a manager.
                Since when has stupidity precluded working in management?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You're too stupid to be a manager
                  That isn't actually possible.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                  X