• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    It's the inference they avoided paying 24% of £400m in taxes.

HTH BIDI
    Well, that inference would be extremely elementary, it's obvious, to anyone who has some analytical skills, what they meant.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
      Well, that inference would be extremely elementary, it's obvious to anyone who has some analytical skills what they meant.
      50% of people are more stupid than the average man...

Comment

Well, that inference would be extremely elementary, it's obvious to anyone who has some analytical skills what they meant.
        So obvious to most on here - but not assguru or the proletariat.

Comment

I am getting really bored with this media hype, yes any company that can, pays the legal minimum amount of tax it can get away with.

This is legal.

Our market systems don’t pay companies to care.

MP’s are Hypocrites when complaining about abusing financial systems. (expenses)

Most people on the street would pay less if they could legally.

What about the companies that trade in other countries & pay only UK tax, are those countries complaining?

If you really don’t like a company’s business model: don’t use them.

Next..
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

I put in a complaint on the BBC website, so I'm now officially an old crank.

And while I'm at it, you kids get off my lawn.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              The other thing that never gets pointed out is that it's a franchise business.
              Only around half of the UK stores are operated as franchises.

Comment

I always leave a quarter of the stuff in me cup, so I am double-outraged

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Clearly the implication is that they're meant to pay 24% of sales as corporation tax, which is completely untrue
                  I don't think that's clear at all; I would never have guessed people would even read it that way!

To me the point was to demonstrate how massive these businesses are, not to suggest £400m is the taxable income. I can see your complaint though and it seems reasonable - but unless they make their finances public, are we ABLE to see what their 'profit' is, i.e. how much they sent overseas? Is that data available?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well, that inference would be extremely elementary, it's obvious, to anyone who has some analytical skills, what they meant.
                    You must be kidding. If it is so bl***dy obvious then why did they tell the story in this way?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      "Starbucks made sales of nearly £400m last year, but paid zero corporation tax even though the standard rate is 24%".

You couldn't make this stuff up. How do the BBC get away with misleading the nation like this?

Corporation tax is 24% Oh tulip, need to call accountant quick.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X