• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is doing the wrong thing for the right reason ever morally justified?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    and I put it to you that you lift up off your seat a little.

because you are talking through your @rse and I can't hear you clearly

Go.

Away.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Yes.

PS - Not interested in any navel gazing/hang-wringing debate. Thought that would save y'all some time

dead right. all the talk usually comes after the event, rationalisation. rather than a pre-thought out belief system
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        It's wrong to murder people. If you do, you go to jail.
        In a war, it's right to murder people, if you dont, you go to jail

If you steal food, it's wrong and you go to jail
        if your kids are starving and you dont steal food, you are wrong and deserve to go to hell

it's not easy. and playing with words dont make it any easier
        In some situations it's morally justified to kill or steal and therefore it's the right thing to do. It seems difficult because you have two contradictory statements and they can't both be true. That's usually a good sign that one of them isn't.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
          Only if you consider morality to be a fixed rather than a relative concept.
          I expect the rules to be fixed however as the rules take into account particular circumstances and an individual's frame of reference the end result is more like what most people consider "relative morality" than the blanket prohibition on certain behaviors that most people consider "fixed morality".

Note that this doesn't automatically imply that things could occur which some observers might consider wrong and others right, maintenance of consistency would be an important property of the rules, in much the same way that causation is an important property of general relativity.

I also expect that much like einstein's formulation of gravitation the rules won't make a lot of sense to most people and they will have to make do with rules of thumb like "though shalt not kill"
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Is doing the wrong thing for me, but the right thing morally ever personally justified?

I think not.

Comment

What is morally wrong about growing and selling cannabis?

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                What is morally wrong about growing and selling cannabis?
                Perhaps the question is, what is morally wrong about breaking the law?
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Perhaps the question is, what is morally wrong about breaking the law?
                  Maybe it's just as well we live in a more sceptic age or HMRC would be telling us it's a mortal sin not to get our tax returns in on time.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Maybe it's just as well we live in a more sceptic age or HMRC would be telling us it's a mortal sin not to get our tax returns in on time.
                    Is Tax Evasion a Mortal Sin?
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                    X