• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War Chest and divorce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
    And if you screwed the client over and didn't keep up with your end of the contract, would you still expect to be paid and get a bonus

HTH
    What I am trying to say, it's not a bonus, is it's all part of the contract, unfair maybe, but still part of the contract. The contract terms apply until the contract is ended.

It's a bit like the people you sign up for interest free credit, until they miss one payment by even a day, then they are hit with £xxx interest. Unfair but they signed the contract, they didn't think they would miss a payment or if they did it wouldn't be so bad. Then they say charging so much interest is unfair.

Should they be let off the interest?
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

its a 50 - 50 split that is the contract assuming no kids.

She wanted to keep the car and me to pay off half the loan. My view was i wanted to either sell the car and pay off the loan, or she takes it over on her own.
      she wanted a 70 - 30 split.
      She keeps £12K asset plus he pays £5K.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        its a 50 - 50 split that is the contract assuming no kids.

she wanted a 70 - 30 split.
        She keeps £12K asset plus he pays £5K.
        What about his car, other assets other debts?

I was involved with someone, he paid the mortage I paid all the other bills. When we split he wanted to keep all the profit from the house as he paid the mortage. He forgot I had paid the 20% deposit for the house and his credit was so bad the loan was in my name.

I am sure his side of the story was a lot different.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
          And if you screwed the client over and didn't keep up with your end of the contract, would you still expect to be paid and get a bonus

HTH
          Unfortunately divorce settlements don't apportion 'blame'. The reasons for separation are irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Unfortunately divorce settlements don't apportion 'blame'. The reasons for separation are irrelevant.
            I can honestly now see why people get their ex-spouses bumped.

If i had fewer morals it would have been the cheapest and most timely solution.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              What about his car, other assets other debts?

I was involved with someone, he paid the mortage I paid all the other bills. When we split he wanted to keep all the profit from the house as he paid the mortage. He forgot I had paid the 20% deposit for the house and his credit was so bad the loan was in my name.

I am sure his side of the story was a lot different.
              possibly, but on facts presented it seems unbalanced. I saw the suggestion of selling the asset and her taking the profit as very reasonable.

It may well be that his car is an old jallopy (like mine is - the wife's is worth twice the value of mine) , or if it wasn't paid off should she pay his debt off?

The men I know who divorced have normally paid their ex partner 70% of assets despite being the one who contributed 70 -80% towards them. Frequently the children were used as the leverage to extract this payout.

It seems you are applying your own view based on your circumstances which appear to be an inverse of the norm regarding the gender but missing the point the financially weaker spouse expects a larger proportion of the payout than seems reasonable on the face of it.

Most wives in happy marriages I know of don't pay the mortgage or the bills, they have the control of the discretionary spending, the husbands bite their tongues when they hear 'Mummy bought you this'.

Comment

I should say, he also forgot or didn't think it would be enforceable a document we both signed when we bought the house, who owned what. I insisted as we didn't get married. He got his money back, but I got the rest of the money after the sale, he was not happy. He pulled a lot of stuff, guess he was feeling guilt
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Take it out of the company, hide it under several mattresses and say that you spent on fine wines and expensive restaurants.

She can't take what isn't there.
                  Don't do that - my wife argued in court that I'd gone on a spending spree and was trying to get me to put the money back in the pot which was to be divided in two (the judge can do that!). Thankfully HE decided that setting up a new home, ie. TV, PS3, kitchen appliances and furniture was a legitimate "spending spree" other wise I'd ha been down several grand. The annoying thinkg is - nearly 1/3 the £20k i spent in the first 6 months after leaving was maintenance and bills I paid her, which I later found out I didn't have to bother with - as she earns enough to look after herself. All I need to pay is child maintenance! :-)

As regards to the original question - yes the company funds can be classed as part of the assets under consideration. They were in my case - though in the end they were mutually agreed to be ignored - as my wife had a great big public sector pension pot I could have asked to take half of. Via the solicitor I got her to see sense that we should treat these two assets as "personal" and stop any more bad feelings of robbery building up. What you are entitled to isn't always the best option. You solicitor doesn't seem to be giving you good advice here. Are they at least telling you the possible outcomes?

What I'm still really pissed off at is she didn't give me back a musical keyboard I'd had since I was 17! Silly really - but I saved up £200 to buy it back then which was a lot of money.

I'll pass on the advice a colleague gave to me but ignored... go round with a van and take what you want not long after leaving or you will never get it back. You may think things are amicable but once the lawyers get involved it becomes a counting game and possession is 100% of what matters. The fact stuff has a value is more or less irrelevant - if the wife has it - she gets to decide whether to keep it. The alternative is to pay the solicitor to fight for each item - which isn't worth the cost.

My personal advice - is try and settle out of court, my two most expensive months ever - by the time barristers start getting dragged in too - you'll be adding several thousand to the bill.
                  Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

he paid the mortage I paid all the other bills. When we split he wanted to keep all the profit from the house as he paid the mortage.

He got his money back, but I got the rest of the money after the sale, he was not happy.
                    can't imagine why.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      can't imagine why.
                      The contract we signed, when the house was sold I would get the 20% of value as I invested 20%. The bank was paid, then the balance was split 50 - 50.

As it turned out this meant he got all the money he paid in back, but no profit. He saw all the money I got as profit.

What he didn't see was, if I had not put the money down and got the loan, we would be renting and he would have got none of his money back.

But he was very sweet about ending things, I went to stay with a friend for a few days (we were fighting too much) he changed the locks. Then he moved his new gf and her 2 kids in, class.

Lucky I didn't marry him.
                      Last edited by alreadypacked; 23 October 2012, 08:01.
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X