• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Discrimination a right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    polygamy
    HAd a bottle of wine and a couple of beers so got my Is and Ys mixed up, polygamy...

YiY

hey! what is not to like about that

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      HAd a bottle of wine and a couple of beers so got my Is and Ys mixed up, polygamy...

YiY

hey! what is not to like about that
      better drink it quick, before Cameron puts the price up.

i wonder whats the diference between a right you have to earn, and an inalienable right

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Wrong, they had previously held back on non married same sex couples.

Now let us get down to poligamy. When can these people that hump in multiples expect legal status? Why are they discriminated against?
        They didn't ask this couple their marital status. Read the reports.

When polygamists demand these rights, they can be debated.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Usually, if a business pees you off, you get revenge by witholding your custom.

how the hell did we ever get into the situation where the business pees us off by rejecting our custom and we have to use the full force of the law to force them to accept our custom

hell in a handcart. hell in a handcart

It probably stated with the signs that read:

No blacks
          No dogs
          No Irish

I guess at some point someone felt that withholding custom wasn't enough.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
            They didn't ask this couple their marital status. Read the reports.

When polygamists demand these rights, they can be debated.
            They previously refused a sale of a double room to an un married couple. Now this couple probably had a bit of sense and just gave it up. The 2 fruits went off and took this through the courts, costing me money.

Comment

They previously refused a sale of a double room to an un married couple. Now this couple probably had a bit of sense and just gave it up. The 2 fruits went off and took this through the courts, costing me money.
              They didn't ask this couple their marital status.

I do get it. You think it's ok to discriminate against a gay couple but probably not against a Jewish couple.

I guess you are a homophobe but not an anti-semite. The religion is a smokescreen for prejudice. Otherwise you'd think it ok to discriminate against a Jewish couple if this was based on a religious belief.
              Last edited by speling bee; 20 October 2012, 22:20.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

You never answered my analogy. So it was wrong for Rangers to refuse to sign players if they were Catholic, but if they were gay then that's okay?
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  The couple's argument "a B&B is a business not your private home" seems a bit weak to me. Can't a business refuse to serve anyone they want?
                  Not if it is due to them being from a group protected by law from such refusal.

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  The law is the law and correctly legislates that businesses can't discriminate.
                  If you don't like that don't start a business that will lead to conflict between your primitive, medieval beliefs and the law.
                  End of story.
                  In Scoobos case, the hotel was also breaking the law. Presumably in conflict with sophisticated, 21st century beliefs.

I agree, however. If you don't like it, don't have that business. The early Christians were known for being a-political. Before the Roman empire became Christian by law and the church gained temporal power, there's little to indicate that the world system had anything to do with the faith - the kingdom of God being something other and apart from that of the world.

When gay marriage becomes available, the Christian B&B can quite legitimately, it seems to me, turn away unmarried gay couples, as they turn away unmarried straight couples.

Yes - the B&B was set up. Some gay activists are just about defending gays against discrimination. Some are driven by an intolerance that's every bit as vitriolic and hate driven as Fred Phelps. Gay men of my acquaintance are uncomfortable with the tactics used in this case.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So when do I get to marry a second wife? Or a third?

Is keeping a group of women a basic human right? Where do we draw the line that has been removed?

Comment

So when do I get to marry a second wife? Or a third?

Is keeping a group of women a basic human right? Where do we draw the line that has been removed?
                      When you've successfully run a political campaign against the oppression and bigotry you seem to feel you face.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Working...
                      X