• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gary Mckinnon will NOT be extradited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    So if I chuck a rock at the American embassy and break a window do I get tried here, or do I face trial in the US?

Just curious ....
    As they are all bullet proof, I'd venture you'd be left well alone and asked to audition for Avengers, the next step, or whatever it's likely to be called.

I think you're just spoiling for it, to be frank. I think it's obvious if someone hacks into a foreign government departments computer system, they are likely to be tried there (uless they work for the government). If you bought space on an American server, and held materials likely to be illegal in America, where do you think you'd be tried?

If you deleted items on the computers of a foreign government, held in that country where do you think the damage was done?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      As they are all bullet proof, I'd venture you'd be left well alone and asked to audition for Avengers, the next step, or whatever it's likely to be called.

I think you're just spoiling for it, to be frank. I think it's obvious if someone hacks into a foreign government departments computer system, they are likely to be tried there (uless they work for the government). If you bought space on an American server, and held materials likely to be illegal in America, where do you think you'd be tried?

If you deleted items on the computers of a foreign government, held in that country where do you think the damage was done?
      Ah OK . Subsitute 'rocket propelled grenade' for rock then. Or use a missile of your choice.
      I started the crime here, but the damage was done there. Same question - where do I get tried?
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Am I alone in thinking that he should have been Extradited?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          Would me opening and reading your mail before resealing it and posting it through your letterbox be a crime?
          Yes.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
            Am I alone in thinking that he should have been Extradited?
            No. Some Americans agree with you.

Comment

Glad he wasn't sent over. If only to piss the USA off who seem to think they've got a right to demand the rest of the world does what they want.

Fair does. He should be put on trial but here in the UK.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Yes.

After re-reading your post I think I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were saying that stealing information wasn't as bad because you weren't taking it, like you would with beans. My point was that it's still a crime even if the information is left intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  He hacked into American computers. These are on American soil. Even our electronic laws forbade such acts. That he then went and deleted all sorts of tulip, and did it over, almost, a 2 year period, in 5 (I think) US Government departments, means yes, he did commit the crime in the states.
                  If our laws forbid such acts, then he should have been prosecuted under our laws. The Americans would have a point if he'd hacked in from international waters, or from a country with no laws against hacking, but (correct me if I'm wrong) British hacking laws don't only apply to people hacking into British computers.

What if you didn't know the physical location of a computer when you hacked it? What if you hacked into a distributed system like Google? It's all a bit ridiculous.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

After re-reading your post I think I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were saying that stealing information wasn't as bad because you weren't taking it, like you would with beans. My point was that it's still a crime even if the information is left intact.

Oh, fair enough

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    It's all a bit ridiculous.
                    It's ridiculous either way, trying to apply national laws for something global is altogether rather feudal. The legal systems just weren't created with such a a world in mind.

Comment

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion; some guy who is socially introverted (hey in I.T. departments most people have the life kicked out of them last time I looked in my old department!) hacks into a foreign US military / civil service computer network looking for evidence of UFO activity and he gets hounded for 10 years according to some U.S. Federal Law ? The Aspergers Syndrome plight is a cop out, if he cannot interact with other people according to what is socially the 'norm' that has nothing to do with him not knowing the difference between right and wrong, and wrong he did but not enough to warrant all this hounding.

The US should look more towards their own IT security and questions must be asked of those who managed it at the time when McKinnon breached it.

The world has gone crazy.

Comment

Working...
                      X