• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wierd household electrical fault

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the precaution of switching all my gear off when the power went
    Ok if you get the chance, when my laptop was wrecked it went off and then straight back on.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      The "U" in UPS doesn't stand for "Uninterruptable".

I witnessed one take out a pair of expensive clientco disk controllers.

I had noticed them testing the diesel generator as I arrived that morning. I should have switched the computers off before they did any damage.

And at another site, a shiny new UPS was being installed.

Something went wrong and it took the power out for the entire building.

The halon dumped too.

And they weren't allowed to replace the halon, so that meant replacing that system as well.
      Uninterruptible power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Humour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by moscow mule View Post
          tdh

hth

Comment

Contacts not making contact on CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Sommat odd going on.

Nearly went apetulip by the end of it.
              Bayonet or Edmundson?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Er, bayonet.
                Isolate from mains. Tease contacts up 1/4''

Comment

I do like this thread title - your household does sound a little odd.

Comment

Since this thread has been resurrected got an even weirder thing that violates laws of the universe.

Was using a fan heater in my little office, needed it all day or the temperature soon dropped to 14 or so. Got one of those electric oil convectors that gives a nice steady 19'. The oddity is that, if I use it to about 1PM and then turn it off (it stays cold to the touch) the office stays at 19 the rest of the day. Free magic heating!

PS or gets hotter. Turned it off an hour ago, was 19.4C It's now 19.7C Weird.
                    PPS Been checking. Now about 5 hours since I turned it off, temperature dropped to 19.1 at one point, now back up to 19.4. Heater has stayed stone cold.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 1 January 2014, 20:19.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Since this thread has been resurrected got an even weirder thing that violates laws of the universe.

Was using a fan heater in my little office, needed it all day or the temperature soon dropped to 14 or so. Got one of those electric oil convectors that gives a nice steady 19'. The oddity is that, if I use it to about 1PM and then turn it off (it stays cold to the touch) the office stays at 19 the rest of the day. Free magic heating!

PS or gets hotter. Turned it off an hour ago, was 19.4C It's now 19.7C Weird.
                      PPS Been checking. Now about 5 hours since I turned it off, temperature dropped to 19.1 at one point, now back up to 19.4. Heater has stayed stone cold.

your office faces West? gets sun in the afternoon like mine?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X