• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which is worse - Islam or Wonga?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the original point, these people are idiots. Do you hear them when teams have an alcoholic drinks manufacturer as sponsor? Do you hear the Catholic church doing the same thing when Durex are a sponsor? There are many companies out there that are dubious, for crying out loud, its the Barclays Premier League. This is just them acting like idiots and using Wonga as they're in the news to promote their own brand of lunacy.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Didn't we used to have mutual loan clubs or similar - whatever happened to them?
      still exist - and offer better rates

try looking for co-operative lending companies

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Your brain processes are like a child's.
        They seem frozen in some simplistic black and white world a 9-year old might inhabit.
        You do realise firstly that heroin addiction may differ from tobacco addiction and secondly that experts don't really understand the nature of addicition? And that the number of people who give up any addiction is a tiny minority of those addicted?
        Just because i am able to break down arguments to their core and present logical conclusions doesn't mean i am a child.

I see now you are muddying it though like you normally do. Addiction to heroin is a different phenomena to an addiction to tobacco (how convenient!). Please recall that the statement's insinuation was that addiction was not freedom of choice. Nobody specified what the addiction was.

Why should the severity of an addiction change the underlying dynamics anyway?

Giving up an addiction is difficult, but it is still ultimately a choice.

My prediction: More insults from sas and no intelligent argument.
        Last edited by Robinho; 10 October 2012, 14:26.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Back to the original point, these people are idiots. Do you hear them when teams have an alcoholic drinks manufacturer as sponsor? Do you hear the Catholic church doing the same thing when Durex are a sponsor? There are many companies out there that are dubious, for crying out loud, its the Barclays Premier League. This is just them acting like idiots and using Wonga as they're in the news to promote their own brand of lunacy.
          You mentioned Barclays - I wonder how many wealthy luvvies would be prepared to give up watching their precious football to make a "moral statement"
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If we set aside the Islam angle, I like the idea of people making a stand against dodgy sponsors. Isn't that to be applauded?
            As I said

why dont you lead by example and boycott the Barclays premier league?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              As I said

why dont you lead by example and boycott the Barclays premier league?
              It's a fair question but I think it's more complicated than that. You will find Muslims use banks, have bank accounts etc. Banks are necessary but the issue here is the true type of usury which several religions point to - Islam in particular.

I am sure the "modern Muslims" are not as against banking and the interest system as we might suspect - working in Barclays, I have learnt that. What they are against is this system of taking advantage of others by effectively multiplying loans. Mortgages, Loans etc are things which can be seen to be beneficial to society and are positive.

I don't think that this stance against Wonga is necessarily a bad thing? How about agreeing with them for a change and giving them a break! All we ever hear about them from the media is negative!

Edit: Also to add to that, I believe you will find many Muslim countries dealing in interest. A regulated form of interest is not the same as Wonga!
              Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 10 October 2012, 14:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                Giving up an addiction is difficult, but it is still ultimately a choice.
                Why don't you start the ball rolling by giving up this compulsion you have to post tedious bollox all over CUK then?
                And we will try and refrain from pulling your naive conclusions to shreds............which will be more difficult for us than kicking Heroin!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I am sure there is a lot more things Premiership footballers do that breaks Sharia law than wear a sponsored shirt
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I am sure there is a lot more things Premiership footballers do that breaks Sharia law than wear a sponsored shirt
                    Not sure Mohammed would approve of all that shirtlifting they do.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Not sure Mohammed would approve of all that shirtlifting they do.

The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                      X