• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Critical Illness or Income Protection Cover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critical Illness or Income Protection Cover

Having just taken on a rather large mortgage and being the main earner in the household i decided it was finally time to get get some sort of Life Cover/Protection in place.

So i've been getting various quotes for Life Insurance (Relevant Life Policies) for myself and my wife through the business as its a bit of a tax efficient no brainer.

However in addition to that I've been looking at Critical Illness and Income Protection insurance as obvioulsy if somethign bad happens but doesn't completely finish me off then as the main bread winner in the house we'd be pretty screwed!

I'm just wondering what the masses have opted for and their reasons for doing so? i appreciate everyone's different but would be interested to hear what people have opted for and why and what sort of cover they are getting and for how much.

Tbh the necessary critical illness cover is a bit too expensive for my monthly outgoings at present (2nd child on way, wife shortly going onto maternity pay, big mortgage) but it obviously gives an adequet lump some payout in the event of something happening meaning the ongoing mortgage payments could be covered as well has having money to live off (£110 /month for joint policy paying out £340k)

Where as an income protection policy is more affordable at ~£35/month for £1700/month but that will only pay out ~50% of your income from the quotes i've seen so far but that would probabaly only just cover the mortgage (but it guess its better than having no cover at all!!)

hmm decisions decisions
    Life Cover Only
    28.57%
    Life Cover + Critical Illness
    42.86%
    Life Cover + Income Protection
    0.00%
    Life Cover + Critical Illness + Income Protection
    28.57%

Critical illness cover is arguably more important than life cover.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

We both have life cover, and critical illness cover. You'd think income protection would only be needed if you were pretty ill, and most of those are covered by the Critical illnesses. Someone at client site had critical illness cover which paid out on a triple bypass to the tune of £500k. Now currently retired.

Income protection is pretty expensive as well.

Comment

I've got critical illness and income protection.

With the critical illness, I get some kind of lump sum.

Income protection pays out £2k per month for a period of 1 year after 3 months. Paying about £70 per month for this.
        Last edited by wurzel; 10 October 2012, 12:26.

Comment

Fail poll...

A quick one days ban for messing up the poll should teach these upstarts how to create proper polls in general....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I couldn't think of an option for AndyW's mum!

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
              I couldn't think of an option for AndyW's mum!
              Claiming ignorance would have been better than admitting you knew but couldn't be bothered! It's the most important option!!!
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Numpty question.... The difference between Critical Illness and Income Protection is what?

Critical Illness pays out in the event that you're signed off as sick due to that long overdue heart attack in the form of a monthly amount? Or is that income protection?

Comment

They are kind of similar in what they cover ie something bad that is going to stop you working but Critical Illness will give you a lump sum, where as income protection will give you a monthly income for the remaining duration of the policy.

Comment

Whatever you do if you take out some form of insurance get a complete medical history print out from your doctor & attach it to the sign up form.

If you are unlucky & get some nasty the insurance company will try & claim that the headache you had 3 years ago was a symptom of your <insert disease here> & as such it is a pre-existing condition not pay up.

Believe me they are that nasty, the print out may cost you a couple of quid but then the insurance company know your history & you have a better leg to stand on.
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X