• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electrocution: Are there any PSU's that provide mains voltage to a computer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    and this is how they arrived at 350,000 serious injuries. I still call BS!

"ii *809 interviews were conducted with adults aged 18-65 from 23 to 29 July 2010 via Ipsos MORI's Capibus, the weekly face-to-face omnibus survey, using a nationally representative quota sample across Great Britain. The results have been weighted to reflect the known profile of the adult population in Great Britain. Based on a confidence interval of +/- 3.5% and the sample size of 809 the actual number could vary between c1.3 and 4 million adults aged 15+. Electric shock is defined as 'a mains-voltage electric shock rather than a static shock of the type a person might get from a car, for example.' "

Oh, and
    "** Data taken from the Electrical Safety Council's 'Public Experience of Electric Shocks' survey, conducted by Ipsos Mori in May and June 2011. "
    Last edited by ctdctd; 7 October 2012, 12:54. Reason: added stuff

Comment

Which kind of supports what we´re saying. 2.5 million shocks and 30 deaths, so if you were to have an electric shock once a year you´d still have a higher life expectancy than if you were to drive a car, which is about 120 years I believe (the time statistically which you would expect to have a fatal accident). In other words if humans had a 300 year life expectancy, driving a car would cut it short, but less than someone who fiddled around with DIY electrical maintenance. Having had countless number of electrical shocks from the mains, I´m a little sceptical at what they define as a "serious injury", I suspect a lot of those are caused by falling off a ladder or bumping your head when you get the shock.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Having had countless number of electrical shocks from the mains, I´m a little sceptical at what they define as a "serious injury", I suspect a lot of those are caused by falling off a ladder or bumping your head when you get the shock.
        Which kinds of supports what I am saying, why the **** don't you turn the power off first like any sensible person?

Your logic on this is fundamentally barmy. I survived a multi car pile up when I was a kid, following your logic I should just crash my car willy nilly because it's perfectly safe.
        Last edited by doodab; 7 October 2012, 13:07.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I´m a little sceptical at what they define as a "serious injury"
          Whiplash init

Comment

Unless you´re standing in a bath and you´re very unlucky 240 volts is pretty harmless. If you´re a DIY electrician you probably will be electrocuted from time to time. Recently I was electrocuted twice in the same evening changing a light switch. Basically it causes a panful twich in your forearm. Good idea to have an electrical screwdriver to check whether there´s any connection that´s live. I got used to being electrocuted doing my 3rd year Uni project wiring up motors.
            I call BS. If you had actually been electrocuted you would be dead.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I call BS. If you had actually been electrocuted you would be dead.

Good point, well presented!

Comment

Which kinds of supports what I am saying, why the **** don't you turn the power off first like any sensible person?

Your logic on this is fundamentally barmy. I survived a multi car pile up when I was a kid, following your logic I should just crash my car willy nilly because it's perfectly safe.

Of course I switch off the power. But often you´re switching on and off and then you think it´s off bit it isn´t.

Anyway the point is, is it dangerous? yes but it´s unlikely that you´ll get nothing more than a nasty shock. When you do maintenance you don´t grab hold of thick copper cables, you´re fiddling around with screw drive and the you might accidentally touch a connection.

I´m not sticking the device in my mouth or standing in the bath changing a light bulb, or standing on a ladder; this is where your nasty accidents occur.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

When I were a young lad, I was working for this landscape gardener and he recounted a tale about the time a group of them were building a swimming pool for one of their clients. One of the builders picked up a mini digger and started breaking up the hard standings. Suddenly this guy put on this stupid face, jumps up and down like a demented chimpanzee and started to yell: "J-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j..." and the rest of them fell about laughing.

Until the builder managed to say: "J-j-j-just t-t-t-t-urn off th-th-th-th-the f-f-f-f-fecking p-p-p-p-p-ower, I'm g-g-g-g-g-g-getting el-l-l-l-l-l-ectroc-c-c-c-c-c-uted!"
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Anyone who thinks turning off the power makes something safe is bonkers. Even after unplugging, there is still a chance (an outside chance) that you can be zapped.
                    be careful out there.
                    And IF, IF, you ever have to touch or brush anything that has the remotest chance of being live, do it with the back of your hand and not the palm or fingers. A shock can make the hand go into a grip and lock you onto whatever is killing you. A zap to the back of the hand will make you move away pretty sharpish.

If you are sweating or otherwisw wet, take double care, and if you have a long pointy nose, dont stick it where it's not wanted

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 7 October 2012, 14:31.
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

get an rccb fitted in your house & office. Use one on power tools, these help ensure if you do get an electric shock you live to tell the tale by noticing the load is unbalanced and turning the power off. (at Low Voltage < KV you normally need a prolonged exposure for it to be fatal.)

Residual-current device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Turn off any equipment and leave 20 minutes to discharge before dismantling. Disconnect batteries and realise some equipment such as UPS can have lethal voltages even when turned off.

Educate yourself about electricity regards shocks

Electric shock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To develop a lethal current you need a reasonable voltage so 12v AC with 200A capacity is less likely to lethally electrocute you than 230v 2A AC. Have a look at Ohms law to work out why. Note AC & DC have different effects, DC grabs you AC grabs & releases you.

its unlikely an external psu will output a high voltage on the dc plug (most switch mode PSU's have a high frequency transformer if the circuit fails the switching transistor will burn out or the transformer go open circuit very quickly) however it is possible.

YMMV, I am not a safety expert.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X