• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contact Lenses - who wears them on here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My eyes are fine but as soon as I get staring at monitors my vision becomes blurred after a while, and then relaxes afterwards. I know my long rage is not as good as it was when I drive (as ex-wife used to read signs before me) but so far nothing detrimental.

Due to a succession of eye tests (when I went for a BA sponsorship and company mandatory eye tests) I know my vision is declining over the years but am surprised I don't really need glasses, compared to my friends at similar age.

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Beware of the eye eating amoeba

Contact lens wearers at risk of amoeba that can eat eyes - Health, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        AFAIK you can get both +/- prescriptions and also ones for astigmatism. Should be fine for driving/flying as far as I can see (gettit).
        I have one lens for distance and the other lens for reading (my glasses prescription is varifocal and I have astigmatism).

It feels a bit weird to start with but you get used to it.

(and I wondered why they were banging on about not getting the lenses wet but now I know..)
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've worn them all day every day for over 30 years. I see better with them than with glasses.

For comfort, I would say address your experiences and concerns to your opthalmologist. They may recommend lenses that are better for you, depending on what your issues are. There are different types of lenses around.

As for infection, do take care. My number one rule is no lenses that get cleaned and re-inserted, ISTM that cleaning lenses is a risk factor, and so is sticking your finger in your eye. So I used daily disposables for many years, but now use monthly disposables. Either way, once it comes out, it doesn't go back in.

BTW My prescription is what they call "monovision": I am equally short-sighted in both eyes, but I wear a distance lens in one eye only, and a closer lens (or none) in the other eye. It doesn't work for everyone but it works for me. OTOH toric lenses don't work for me but do for many others. It's a case of your brain learning to process the useful information coming in and ignore the rest.

Edit: on the subject of infection, there is a Johns Hopkins study on extended continuous wear (up to 1 month without removal) that was set up to study whether extended wear was riskier than one-day wear (it wasn't); it showed as a coincidental result that people who wore extended wear lenses for 3-4 weeks at a time had less infection risk that those who wore the same lenses for less than 3 weeks at a time. There could be several reasons for this, and the study didn't pursue it, but my best guess would be that infection comes in on the end of your finger, so the less often that goes in your eye, the fewer infection opportunities there are.
          Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 27 September 2012, 06:56.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

hmm maybe it isn't a good idea to rinse your eyes with water where you have something in them,
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I've worn lenses for 20 years as I'm short sighted. I use daily disposables. Not had any issues. In common with other people I've not gone for lasering just in case something goes wrong.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                Anyone on here had Laser Eye Surgery? Expensive? Any good? Or a ruddy waste of time and you've gone back to glasses or contacts?
                Yes, Yes, Yes, No
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  That was just the question I was about to ask. My eyesight has gone a bit poor recently. Never worn glasses or contact lenses. I think I'd find contact lenses too annoying to wear and mess around with. Anyone on here had Laser Eye Surgery? Expensive? Any good? Or a ruddy waste of time and you've gone back to glasses or contacts?
                  I am too short sighted to function without corrected vision. I wear specs most of the time and contact lenses at other times. Now that I'm past 40, I will need to start thinking about a near distance prescription. I expect I will wear single vision contacts most of the time and then have some off the shelf readers when I need them.

I know plenty of people who are happy with laser surgery. I have also worked with eye surgeons, none of whom would have laser surgery, mainly because they are very risk averse, as they see the problems.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    I am too short sighted to function without corrected vision. I wear specs most of the time and contact lenses at other times. Now that I'm past 40, I will need to start thinking about a near distance prescription. I expect I will wear single vision contacts most of the time and then have some off the shelf readers when I need them.

I know plenty of people who are happy with laser surgery. I have also worked with eye surgeons, none of whom would have laser surgery, mainly because they are very risk averse, as they see the problems.
                    I'm too short-sighted for laser surgery to completely 'cure' me, I'd still need specs.

So for that reason I'm out, contacts do me nicely and have done for the past 25 years.
                    Gronda Gronda

Comment

I wore lenses for 20+ years. Then my eyes decided to reject them (not uncommon according to my optician) leaving me with the the option of glasses or laser surgery. I went for the latter and don't regret it at all. In fact, I wish I'd done it much sooner.

I avoided the High Street cowboys and went to a private eye clinic. The surgeon I saw had already performed the same procedure on his wife and daughter which was reassurance enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X