• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    My concept of a plan B is something that self generates money, if its to work as hard as contracting with a lot less money then that is plan Z.
    But I am presuming you have to do things to get it to work first, no?

And if you are working hard contracting, well, what can I say. Don't. I can't recall busting my ass contracting save once, when they agreed to double time out of 35 hours. Oh yes, did I then pile in the hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      But I am presuming you have to do things to get it to work first, no?

And if you are working hard contracting, well, what can I say. Don't. I can't recall busting my ass contracting save once, when they agreed to double time out of 35 hours. Oh yes, did I then pile in the hours...
      You know the saying, in the first year you look after the business, in the second year the business looks after itself, and the third year it looks after you.

I dont do a lot of extra hours, but when I am there I work hard and I achieve a lot.

Comment

You know the saying, in the first year you look after the business, in the second year the business looks after itself, and the third year it looks after you.

I dont do a lot of extra hours, but when I am there I work hard and I achieve a lot.
        well, in the first instance, I haven't seen a business which works that well, and it mostly takes an awful lot of ******* work to get it to look after you.

As for the second, well, I achieve a lot, I just don't bust my balls, have no stress and 6 figures keeps a popping into that account. Can't think of an easier way to pop in that amount of money year in year out, with as little, relatively, work, and little stress.

Less, can be more...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          well, in the first instance, I haven't seen a business which works that well, and it mostly takes an awful lot of ******* work to get it to look after you.

As for the second, well, I achieve a lot, I just don't bust my balls, have no stress and 6 figures keeps a popping into that account. Can't think of an easier way to pop in that amount of money year in year out, with as little, relatively, work, and little stress.

Less, can be more...
          Rent boy? How do you think Shaunbhoy can afford all those foreign holidays.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I suppose it depends what you are thinking of, its a cafe or hairdressers then no.

Being an IT pro, my concept of plan B is usually some sort of website that generates advertisement revenue or some sort of service that runs itself, affiliates etc etc Something that would put enough money into the bank to pay the bills and leave me free to live a life of leisure.

Comment

I suppose it depends what you are thinking of, its a cafe or hairdressers then no.

Being an IT pro, my concept of plan B is usually some sort of website that generates advertisement revenue or some sort of service that runs itself, affiliates etc etc Something that would put enough money into the bank to pay the bills and leave me free to live a life of leisure.
              I have an idea, a plan b if you like, but I know I would have to bust my balls for a good 18 months to get it going as a first iteration, then it would have to be developed further. Yes, maybe in 3, maybe 5/6 years it could make me the wealth I want to retire, but reiterating, I am not prepared for that much hard work, when in 6 years, I can earn at least £800-850k (if I have continuous work), not busting my balls.

Short term view, maybe, but I have a young family and enjoy being with them. I also recently took 6 weeks holiday, I am not too sure if I was building a business, I could do that. Each to their own, but again, I don't think Plan B's are necessarily worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Rent boy? How do you think Shaunbhoy can afford all those foreign holidays.
                He's a fat and ugly though; he must be selling it plenty cheap and often.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I've got a warchest, and can hold out for at least 4 months or so (have been benched for nearly 2), but I'm going a bit potty so Plan B might be the option. How long would it take you before you reach for Plan B? Are you the type who'll wait until the warchest is almost empty, or are you more like me and you just get so bored you decide it's time to go for it?
                  If you wait until you're nearly out of money before starting plan B, you'll almost certainly not get it done in time and will still rely on getting work. Plus you'll be nervous to spend money on it which might make it suck.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think that's more of a war handbag if it only contained 6 months money.
                    Well yes, it's been depleted somewhat in the last few years due to benchtime and rebuilding at home, but it's better than nowt.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                      If you are going to be a personal trainer, get started now. advertise and if a gig comes along you can take it and train in the evenings
                      Good point; I did a couple of jobs for customers last year but then passed them onto a friend when I got a big juicy IT contract. I love it, am qualified, and I've realised I'm pretty good at motivating people to get fit and lose a few pounds; the customers I had were directors of medium sized businesses who wanted to get rid of the extra pounds and they were very positive. I have one big advantage in that I've performed at a good standard in different sports and look pretty fit, so they take me seriously. It's just a bloody big step to do it full time and I know it won;t pay as well as a good IT contract, but it's better than sitting on the bench!
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X