• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B

I've got a warchest, and can hold out for at least 4 months or so (have been benched for nearly 2), but I'm going a bit potty so Plan B might be the option. How long would it take you before you reach for Plan B? Are you the type who'll wait until the warchest is almost empty, or are you more like me and you just get so bored you decide it's time to go for it?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

surely working on Plan B as a hobby when in and out of contract is best, then when it naturally gets to a point that requires more attention than you can give it under current circumstances is the time to decide if it's worth the jump into the great unknown.

or are you talking about the intial starting of a plan b?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Who cares about plan B? Plan C is what really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I've got a warchest, and can hold out for at least 4 months or so (have been benched for nearly 2), but I'm going a bit potty so Plan B might be the option. How long would it take you before you reach for Plan B? Are you the type who'll wait until the warchest is almost empty, or are you more like me and you just get so bored you decide it's time to go for it?
        I think that's more of a war handbag if it only contained 6 months money.

Not working wouldnt make me do a plan b. I think people who do start something do it because they love it, they feel the spark, they cant not do it, and thats why they succeed.

so if you dont feel that drive chances are you will fail.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
          Who cares about plan B? Plan C is what really matters.
          It depends, if Plan B makes enough money for you to survive and you enjoy doing it then why look for a plan c?

As I see it

Plan A: work you are skilled to do and earns enough money but isnt what you'd like to do for the rest o fyour life
          Plan B: work you wish you could do for whatever reason that with a bit of effort could earn enough to replace plan A in terms of being a viable income producing business.
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If you are going to be a personal trainer, get started now. advertise and if a gig comes along you can take it and train in the evenings

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              I think that's more of a war handbag if it only contained 6 months money.
              Made I chuckle.

I have a plan B, but also have a family, so will work on it, if I get out of contract. However, I haven't been out of contract for a long time, and I am unwilling to forsake a good family life.

I nearly bought a business a few years ago, with my warchest, but then thought, even if I did make it really succesful, I would have to work 24/7, at least with contracting, I get to work 35 hours a week, and enjoy th eother times, for a very decent pay packet. I think Plan B's are sometimes overrated

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                It depends, if Plan B makes enough money for you to survive and you enjoy doing it then why look for a plan c?

As I see it

Plan A: work you are skilled to do and earns enough money but isnt what you'd like to do for the rest o fyour life
                Plan B: work you wish you could do for whatever reason that with a bit of effort could earn enough to replace plan A in terms of being a viable income producing business.
                Plan C: no work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  I think Plan B's are sometimes overrated
                  My concept of a plan B is something that self generates money, if its to work as hard as contracting with a lot less money then that is plan Z.

Comment

I always have plan B, plan C, plan D. Try to implement as many as possible. When I had the shops, I was able to work there or up the sales via the web etc, then if I got a contract I changed the staffing. It only became a problem when I was 100% on Plan A. My plan B at the moment is to have a house built on the building plot I bought earlier in the year, but I'm so busy Ive decided not to try and kill myself doing it. Do it next year.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X