• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coffee at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Management can do whatever they do while at Costa or even while walking there.
    'Work' is quite an optimistic description of what management do at many clientcos. Obstruction, sabotage, political bollocks and general bureaucratic nonsense are more to the point.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yes but they can do it equally well in Costa.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yes but they can do it equally well in Costa.
        Arguably better as they are less likely to interfere with useful people.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

understated

Management can do work while at Costa or even while walking there.

At conferences, it's claimed at least as much important stuff happens in the 15min coffee break as it does in the presentations.
          That's very much understated. I've attended many conferences and usually I can achieve 100X during the coffee break compared to during the actual presentation (unless I am giving the presentation). If there is network access, at least the presentation time can be used for online background research and planning the leads I intend to corner at the next coffee break.

Comment

Originally posted by EMEAfixer View Post
            That's very much understated. I've attended many conferences and usually I can achieve 100X during the coffee break compared to during the actual presentation (unless I am giving the presentation). If there is network access, at least the presentation time can be used for online background research and planning the leads I intend to corner at the next coffee break.
            You sound like an agent!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I can't remember the name now, but a friend of mine does training and uses this principle to make the training/meeting much less structured.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                You sound like an agent!
                In a way, but the only 'body' I sell is my own.
                Ok, that sounds bad.

The only 'services' I sell are my own.
                Hmm, that sounds worse.

Actually, the services I sell are MyCo's services.

Anyway, I offer a full service to ClientCo's, where I can do a combination of cross functional management, business development and sales work, but also coding work, all as a contractor. I've got my suity days as an exec and my tshirt days as a coder. I sit on both sides of the fence, which makes for interesting views sometimes.... and uncomfortable if I slip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  'Work' is quite an optimistic description of what management do at many clientcos. Obstruction, sabotage, political bollocks and general bureaucratic nonsense are more to the point.
                  Same old tulip, different clientco!
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                    The Dutch appear at the machine with the lid of a cardboard box, and proceed to monopolise the machine by getting 25 coffees for their entire team
                    , and you have to find a different coffee machine on a different floor.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

In a way, but the only 'body' I sell is my own.
                      Ok, that sounds bad.

The only 'services' I sell are my own.
                      Hmm, that sounds worse.
                      I sit on both sides of the fence, which makes for interesting views sometimes.... and uncomfortable if I slip.
                      That sounds a lot worse.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X