• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Coffee at work

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coffee at work"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by EMEAfixer View Post
    In a way, but the only 'body' I sell is my own.
    Ok, that sounds bad.

The only 'services' I sell are my own.
    Hmm, that sounds worse.
    I sit on both sides of the fence, which makes for interesting views sometimes.... and uncomfortable if I slip.
    That sounds a lot worse.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    The Dutch appear at the machine with the lid of a cardboard box, and proceed to monopolise the machine by getting 25 coffees for their entire team
    , and you have to find a different coffee machine on a different floor.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    'Work' is quite an optimistic description of what management do at many clientcos. Obstruction, sabotage, political bollocks and general bureaucratic nonsense are more to the point.
    Same old tulip, different clientco!

Leave a comment:

• EMEAfixer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You sound like an agent!
    In a way, but the only 'body' I sell is my own.
    Ok, that sounds bad.

The only 'services' I sell are my own.
    Hmm, that sounds worse.

Actually, the services I sell are MyCo's services.

Anyway, I offer a full service to ClientCo's, where I can do a combination of cross functional management, business development and sales work, but also coding work, all as a contractor. I've got my suity days as an exec and my tshirt days as a coder. I sit on both sides of the fence, which makes for interesting views sometimes.... and uncomfortable if I slip.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That's very much understated. I've attended many conferences and usually I can achieve 100X during the coffee break compared to during the actual presentation (unless I am giving the presentation). If there is network access, at least the presentation time can be used for online background research and planning the leads I intend to corner at the next coffee break.
    I can't remember the name now, but a friend of mine does training and uses this principle to make the training/meeting much less structured.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    That's very much understated. I've attended many conferences and usually I can achieve 100X during the coffee break compared to during the actual presentation (unless I am giving the presentation). If there is network access, at least the presentation time can be used for online background research and planning the leads I intend to corner at the next coffee break.
    You sound like an agent!

Leave a comment:

• EMEAfixer
    replied
    understated

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Management can do work while at Costa or even while walking there.

At conferences, it's claimed at least as much important stuff happens in the 15min coffee break as it does in the presentations.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Yes but they can do it equally well in Costa.
    Arguably better as they are less likely to interfere with useful people.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yes but they can do it equally well in Costa.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Management can do whatever they do while at Costa or even while walking there.
    'Work' is quite an optimistic description of what management do at many clientcos. Obstruction, sabotage, political bollocks and general bureaucratic nonsense are more to the point.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    What winds me right up is people (management) who rock up at 08:00 so their seen as in the office then a gang of them will disapear for 30 minutes to the local Costas , one day a few walked past on their way to costas while one of the fellas next to me was surfin the web and had the balls to say is it a slow day as you have time to read the news,

When i get to work i start work, "get your bleedin coffeee on your way in" It makes me mad!!!!
    Management can do work while at Costa or even while walking there.

At conferences, it's claimed at least as much important stuff happens in the 15min coffee break as it does in the presentations.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    The Dutch appear at the machine with the lid of a cardboard box, and proceed to monopolise the machine by getting 25 coffees for their entire team
    I know. Assholes.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    What winds me right up is people (management) who rock up at 08:00 so their seen as in the office then a gang of them will disapear for 30 minutes to the local Costas , one day a few walked past on their way to costas while one of the fellas next to me was surfin the web and had the balls to say is it a slow day as you have time to read the news,

When i get to work i start work, "get your bleedin coffeee on your way in" It makes me mad!!!!
    This is why they're management and you're a support monkey

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    As long as they pay me more to drink it than it cost to purchase I'll be doing it the profitable away. I'm running a business after all.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X