• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the US rapidly becoming a failed state due to its free market policies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    It is free market if you let banks create their own currencies.
    And that is exactly what happened. Each bank (or goldsmith) created it's own gold backed paper money. There is in fact nothing to stop people doing the same thing now, in fact there is a roaring trade in "virtual" gold.

They do have special powers, they are the only line of business that can create money. That is a pretty special power.
    But the power isn't "granted", it's earned, and it can be earned by anyone with the wherewithal to apply for a banking license.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      And that is exactly what happened. Each bank (or goldsmith) created it's own gold backed paper money. There is in fact nothing to stop people doing the same thing now, in fact there is a roaring trade in "virtual" gold.
      Yes but they key is that money enforced by the state could not be created. I don't believe you're allowed to create private currencies in the UK, but there are loopholes.

But the power isn't "granted", it's earned, and it can be earned by anyone with the wherewithal to apply for a banking license.
      And it is still not a free market principal.

Comment

Germany, a country with less than a quarter of its population
        That point is silly. A country with a much larger area and population obviously has more capacity for production and a greater internal market and does not need to imort/export as much. After all, the world as a whole has a far greater population than the US and exports nothing.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yes but they key is that money enforced by the state could not be created. I don't believe you're allowed to create private currencies in the UK, but there are loopholes
          You believe wrong. People are free to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or not. There are dozens of alternative local currencies in the UK and the only thing stopping you from setting one up is that it needs to compete in a free market where people tend to prefer money backed by the state.

TBH I'm going to stop replying to you now cos life is too short to waste arguing with people who haven't got a clue what they are talking about.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I think also that the inequalities you speak of have always existed, indeed, been far greater than they are now. Parts of the Southern states, particularly the black areas, have been pretty third world but the nation as a whole performed well.

Various studies have indicated that extremes of inequality are damaging and there is a case for trying to bring the lower achievers up provided you can succeed. If you can't, you are just damaging the incentive of the performers to no purpose. Maybe if people really have the capacity to succeed then they will do it without execssive subsidy from others.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

TBH I'm going to stop replying to you now cos life is too short to waste arguing with people who haven't got a clue what they are talking about.
              Thanks for being so charitable. You're right, i am wasting my life talking to morons like you.

Comment

Thanks for being so charitable. You're right, i am wasting my life talking to morons like you.
                Yeah, you should stick to morons who can't read then you might have a chance.

Comment

I thought you were going to stop talking to me?

Comment

Working...
                  X