• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing lump sum wisely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    Not much on there above 3.5% though which is pants.
    sign up for bond options on HL.co.uk you'll get better but with the added risk.
    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Guaranteed income then if paid for straight by the council.
      It's not. And TBH the council can take months to do anything so it's not that preferable.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It's not. And TBH the council can take months to do anything so it's not that preferable.
        Maybe it varies from council to council but it has always been the case for me. And also minimal hassle - any issues the council sorts it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Gold is not an investment. It does not generate any income and should only form up to 10% of your total assets as a hedge.
          Well my bullionvault account seems to show 30% more £ value in it than I have put £ into it. Which is significantly better than any other investment I ever made.

And as to a hedge, its a hedge against the government devaluing currency which is definitely their policy via QE.

Shares are overvalued, so is property, interest rates are pitiful. The other great thing about gold, there is never any tax to pay on it.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            The other great thing about gold, there is never any tax to pay on it.
            Won't you pay CGT when you sell it assuming you're over the threshold?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Won't you pay CGT when you sell it assuming you're over the threshold?
              Conceptually yes, if you were over the threshold which is £10,600 and bought /sold bullion. No if you buy /sell UK gold coins such as sovereigns as these are classed as legal currency and therefore exempt of CGT.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                Are Lada still in production?
                Yes

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Hence the comment about a mortgage.

I don't think youre cut out for this investing like.

Stick it under the floorboards like AtW.
                  It's not for me, it's for someone else, someone who doesn't want any sort of mortgage, not even on a BTL. But thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    It's not for me, it's for someone else, someone who doesn't want any sort of mortgage, not even on a BTL. But thanks.
                    Then forget about "investing" of any sort. Just still it in the bank at the highest rate you can find out there at the moment. Pretty much everything else will either have a fluctuating ROI or will involve some level of risk to your capital.

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                      sign up for bond options on HL.co.uk you'll get better but with the added risk.
                      To recap his requirements: very low risk.

Also, funds via HL are a minefield of charges, even after taking "initial discounts" into account. I know, I manage my SIPP through them.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X