• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Investing lump sum wisely"

Collapse

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I invested in some Greek shares recently...the 10% dividends have now been paid out.

"He who dares"

How difficult is it to buy/sell shares abroad? Do you use a foreign trader? What are the tax implications?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Flip it, Just stick it all on black. Rinse and repeat

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Then forget about "investing" of any sort. Just still it in the bank at the highest rate you can find out there at the moment. Pretty much everything else will either have a fluctuating ROI or will involve some level of risk to your capital.
    Yeah, maybe you're right, but I wanted to ask people who have experience and knowledge in this area. But I couldn't find any, hence my post here (boom boom)

Personally, I'd go the premium bonds route, but it isn't my money, so it will probably end up being moved around various building society accounts. But the (genuinely very useful) replies on here confirmed that I wasn't missing something obvious.

Thanks all

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    sign up for bond options on HL.co.uk you'll get better but with the added risk.
    To recap his requirements: very low risk.

Also, funds via HL are a minefield of charges, even after taking "initial discounts" into account. I know, I manage my SIPP through them.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    It's not for me, it's for someone else, someone who doesn't want any sort of mortgage, not even on a BTL. But thanks.
    Then forget about "investing" of any sort. Just still it in the bank at the highest rate you can find out there at the moment. Pretty much everything else will either have a fluctuating ROI or will involve some level of risk to your capital.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Hence the comment about a mortgage.

I don't think youre cut out for this investing like.

Stick it under the floorboards like AtW.
    It's not for me, it's for someone else, someone who doesn't want any sort of mortgage, not even on a BTL. But thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Are Lada still in production?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Won't you pay CGT when you sell it assuming you're over the threshold?
    Conceptually yes, if you were over the threshold which is £10,600 and bought /sold bullion. No if you buy /sell UK gold coins such as sovereigns as these are classed as legal currency and therefore exempt of CGT.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    The other great thing about gold, there is never any tax to pay on it.
    Won't you pay CGT when you sell it assuming you're over the threshold?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Gold is not an investment. It does not generate any income and should only form up to 10% of your total assets as a hedge.
    Well my bullionvault account seems to show 30% more £ value in it than I have put £ into it. Which is significantly better than any other investment I ever made.

And as to a hedge, its a hedge against the government devaluing currency which is definitely their policy via QE.

Shares are overvalued, so is property, interest rates are pitiful. The other great thing about gold, there is never any tax to pay on it.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's not. And TBH the council can take months to do anything so it's not that preferable.
    Maybe it varies from council to council but it has always been the case for me. And also minimal hassle - any issues the council sorts it out.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Guaranteed income then if paid for straight by the council.
    It's not. And TBH the council can take months to do anything so it's not that preferable.

Leave a comment:

• Notascooby
    replied
    Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    Not much on there above 3.5% though which is pants.
    sign up for bond options on HL.co.uk you'll get better but with the added risk.

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Not much on there above 3.5% though which is pants.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I don't think you can buy a BTL for £30k. But thanks.
    Hence the comment about a mortgage.

I don't think youre cut out for this investing like.

Stick it under the floorboards like AtW.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X