• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG News on gov contracts - Will the government ever **** off and leave me alone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What they should do is just harmonise the dividend and income tax rate, and then there wouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
      As I said chill. You'll have a heart attack before you get to spend the money on the "big project!" No need to regurgitate the same old nonsense I’ve been a contractor for years, running my business as I see fit.
      LOL. I wondered where those new veins in my forehead were coming from.

What really winds me up in this is the unfairness of the is an employee - only for tax purposes, but nothing else. The gov is basically saying - we will hire you but only via a limited company as we want you off payroll, without any of the beneifts that being an employee has, but then you'll have to pay your tax as if you were an employee. That to me is simply unfair and an abuse of power and what has me wound up most of all. I;m quite happy to pay the same tax as employees if I get the same rights, but I don't.

Where I'm working now - I can see another of the benefits of where all that tax goes. It's not one of the main govenment departments - you probably never even knew it existed, but they spend 4.5 billion a year and about 2 billion of that goes directly to companies who employ people. Companies with lots of employees not 1.

Most likely - I'll get my contract reviewed and will be fine, but my point still stands the gov [aka the civil service] is making up too many rules - leading to uncertainty of what amount of money you'll get to keep from your company earnings this year. And they should just simply it all.

If I were David Ike's equivalent "Paymad Oik?", I'd say there was a consipracy amongst the unions to keep creating regulations that creates civil sector jobs to monitor it all, which requires an increase in taxation to pay for the jobs.
      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
        What they should do is just harmonise the dividend and income tax rate, and then there wouldn't be a problem.
        Exactly - and get rid of NI. Once you start thinking about how to change it to make it fair to all, you'll reaslise other people got there before you...

The Single Income Tax | The 2020 Tax Commission

Not sure why they want to get rid of Inheritance tax, maybe I misunderstand it - in my mind, it would be bet to treat it as untaxed income and charge the standard 30% income rate on it - seems fair to me. Will have a further read of:

http://2020tax.org/2020tc.pdf at 400 odd pages it a lot. I'm looking forward to see what the tax collected drop to -and which service they plan to cut?
        Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Perhaps you're better off becoming a tradesman like a carpenter, brickie or electrician they seem to escape it all by doing fiddles for cash without all the hassle
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            Perhaps you're better off becoming a tradesman like a carpenter, brickie or electrician they seem to escape it all by doing fiddles for cash without all the hassle
            But they are hard to catch. Get it? Easy targets...but all said and done the scare stories aren't merited. There are plenty of reasons why QDOS etc are happy to perpetuate them but very few people are actually affected. So be a contractor and move about a lot, then you’re not an easy target. If however you’ve been in the same IB for 5 years doing the same job. And yes I do mean same job, well ...

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post

I don't like IR35. But it is fair. We are basically employees.

What is unfair is that the tax rate gets to 40+%.
              That +ve rep from me you got with the comment "absolute bollux!" was supposed to be a -ve rep!

Apologies for any confusion
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                But they are hard to catch. Get it? Easy targets...but all said and done the scare stories aren't merited. There are plenty of reasons why QDOS etc are happy to perpetuate them but very few people are actually affected. So be a contractor and move about a lot, then you’re not an easy target. If however you’ve been in the same IB for 5 years doing the same job. And yes I do mean same job, well ...
                I wholeheartedly agree with you that they're hard to catch and we're easy targets, I'm not going to bang on about fairness etc but I believe they could do more to stamp it out. With the money we earn we contribute sure there are ways to minimise this but it doesn't totally involve not paying anything unlike if you're paid cash in hand which is total avoidance
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
                  Pedant. I used the term loosely to represent the opposite end of the political specturm than what is probably described as a liberal democracy.
                  I wasn't being pedantic, I assumed you simply used the word as a catch-all insult
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They don't escape by taking cash. They escape because they are proper service providers / businesses.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with you that they're hard to catch and we're easy targets, I'm not going to bang on about fairness etc but I believe they could do more to stamp it out. With the money we earn we contribute sure there are ways to minimise this but it doesn't totally involve not paying anything unlike if you're paid cash in hand which is total avoidance
                      I know a 50yo brickie / window cleaner who bought a 250k house cash and has around 20K cash sitting in his house and pays little tax if at all. Unfair. Very unfair. I also know someone who earns close to 3million a year who pays near enough 10% tax. Unfair. Very unfair. And this is true! Just be thankfull you're paying about 25% and get on with it...

Comment

Working...
                      X