• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain to be like Madeira in 2080

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    And that matters because?
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      What, Karachi?

Then, back in the real world...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        The Met office have shot down in flames the claim that Britain will be sub-tropical in 2060. It will be subtropical in 2080.
        You mean it will be light and fluffy with a hint of lemon?
        Or fortified and a bit sickly sweet?

As to all those pictures of what britain will look like... have you not been on the tube lately?. I was there working last year and it started to wind me up that no one spoke english.

I mean seriously every day Id listen in to peoples conversation and think, this isnt good. A bit of tourism and immigration to support the economy isnt a bad idea, but this is ridiculous. We have 2 million people claiming"they cant find work (it would help if they got out of wetherspoons) and yet there are literally hundreds of thousands of cleaners cooks and waiting staff coming from overseas to "study".. Call me xenophobic, but we shouldn't force the lazy parasite brits to do these jobs before we give them away to foreigners? Ad no im not racist Im talking everything from old Europe, new europe, asia, africa and the rest. I dont count aussie/kiwi or us drawl as english either :-)

So where did all the brits go from London? Sell up and move overseas?

And as to weather(sorry climate) predictions... im running one of the HadSM3 climate models in boinc as my screen saver. After 161 hours of CPU Its only up to May 1839 (looks a bit chilly at the mo), so ill let you know what it comes up with once its got the past history right.
        Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
          We have 2 million people claiming"they cant find work (it would help if they got out of wetherspoons) and yet there are literally hundreds of thousands of cleaners cooks and waiting staff coming from overseas to "study".. Call me xenophobic, but we shouldn't force the lazy parasite brits to do these jobs before we give them away to foreigners?
          Not going to call you racist as I understand your frustration, but these days in NL I actually seek out restaurants with foreign staff, particularly from southern Europe, because most of the locals are frankly bloody useless at anything that involves 'service'. I can imagine the situation's pretty similar in the UK. Why would you employ some drunken inbred local who's been forced to apply by the the job centre if someone from eastern Europe or further afield arrives at your pub or shop looking smartly dressed and politely asks if you're looking for staff? Why, in fact, should we expect businesspeople to hire second rate chavs instead of hiring the best they can find?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            So what do you think they can look forward to in Madeira, dummy?

(and the hundreds of millions of people at equal or more tropical latutides elsewhere)
            I presume they´ll all come to Britain.

What are you doing to reduce your carbon footprint?
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 31 August 2012, 20:42.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Not going to call you racist as I understand your frustration, but these days in NL I actually seek out restaurants with foreign staff, particularly from southern Europe, because most of the locals are frankly bloody useless at anything that involves 'service'. I can imagine the situation's pretty similar in the UK. Why would you employ some drunken inbred local who's been forced to apply by the the job centre if someone from eastern Europe or further afield arrives at your pub or shop looking smartly dressed and politely asks if you're looking for staff? Why, in fact, should we expect businesspeople to hire second rate chavs instead of hiring the best they can find?
              wow , you are almost saying that we should band together with people who share the same values, rather than with people who were born close by, or who look like us

you can get shot for saying things like that

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Was thinking about the population thing.

It's only an extension of what the British did a couple of hundred years ago. If you think about the number of white Aussies and Americans and imagined having to rehome them all back in the UK, we'd be pretty chocka.

Facts and figures.

Population of UK = 63,000,000
                Number of Americans with English and Scottish ancestry = 335,564,998

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_American
                Last edited by mudskipper; 1 September 2012, 07:09.

Comment

It would be hard to call me a racist, my other half is african and my best mate jamaican, and they would be the first to admit that immigation in the uk has let too many people in over a short space of time. Ive worked with a few first and second gerenation indians over the years now and they often moan about how many "new" indians the gov is letting in on work visas. I think most people have the same opinion... its not racism to think that letting in enough new people each year to build 2 towns the size of milton keynes is a bit too many.
                  Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    Id put my money on it being like this

Isn't that just a typical Lidl?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post

Pakistan is a failed state with nukes. No booze, no skirts, no music. Not to mention those blasphemy laws that make life there so worthwhile.
                      You're talking out your ass.

again.
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X