• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector nonsense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are too many loopholes at present to prevent the £220pd / 6 month ban from being effective. Chances are they'll just offer contractors fixed-term, 6 month contracts in the future at an even greater daily rate than at present (to compensate for the reduced duration), and just rotate staff on their never-ending projects.

However, if they ever do manage to make it work, I think they'll find it a bit like when the tobacco industry was banned from mainstream advertising. i.e., they'll belatedly realise it was money they were only wasting all along.

Software development / IT projects of any complexity generally take 6-9 months max to complete, if you're working competently. A year at most for the very most complex, 2-4 months for very simple implementations that closely-resemble previous solutions. The only reason that projects of equivalent complexity take so much longer in the Public Sector than they do in profit-making businesses is because it's lucrative for suppliers and career-enhancing for bureaucratic internal management for it to be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      KUATB will you.
      But this thread is about my contract, it's like saying there should only be one IR35 thread.

Comment

It's the public sector way firstly they don't have a clue how to run projects and then secondly they don't know what they want so they're always over budget. When I was a permie at Companies House they spent 40 million implementing a replacement processing system and it was 2 years overdue
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
          There are too many loopholes at present to prevent the £220pd / 6 month ban from being effective. Chances are they'll just offer contractors fixed-term, 6 month contracts in the future at an even greater daily rate than at present (to compensate for the reduced duration), and just rotate staff on their never-ending projects.

However, if they ever do manage to make it work, I think they'll find it a bit like when the tobacco industry was banned from mainstream advertising. i.e., they'll belatedly realise it was money they were only wasting all along.

Software development / IT projects of any complexity generally take 6-9 months max to complete, if you're working competently. A year at most for the very most complex, 2-4 months for very simple implementations that closely-resemble previous solutions. The only reason that projects of equivalent complexity take so much longer in the Public Sector than they do in profit-making businesses is because it's lucrative for suppliers and career-enhancing for bureaucratic internal management for it to be that way.
          It's not meant to be effective, it's a Political stunt to show the government are cracking down on the rich tax avoiders. The problem is they are targeting the average joe rather than the super rich.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            It's the public sector way firstly they don't have a clue how to run projects and then secondly they don't know what they want so they're always over budget. When I was a permie at Companies House they spent 40 million implementing a replacement processing system and it was 2 years overdue
            You're right. But counting the positives, have you noticed how many repressive regimes have truly efficient Public Sectors? Maybe it's just as well that those in power don't know how to put together a spreadsheet, much less efficiently manage all the data about us that they'd like to exercise complete control over?

Comment

£220 would be a massive pay rise surely?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
                But this thread is about my contract, it's like saying there should only be one IR35 thread.
                Yeah but thought for all those that DGAS about your contract might be more interested in the other one.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Actually I didn't see a reference to £220 in the other thread, what's the significance?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Actually I didn't see a reference to £220 in the other thread, what's the significance?
                    If you earn more than that per day and your contract has ran for over 6 months. U payin 40% tax bro!

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
                      If you earn more than that per day and your contract has ran for over 6 months. U payin 40% tax bro!
                      only accept the contract with a 5 month, 3 week, 6 day period

Comment

Working...
                      X