• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5 Cents Coins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Back to the OP, its a hoax.

It would take a lot more than 30 trucks full of 5 cents to make a billion dollars.....
    For me the point of the article reflects the changing perception of the Apple brand. The average person on the street is starting to recognise that Apple's brand is not only associated with innovation, lifestyle, aspirations but also monopolisation and greed.

To be honest, I was keen on purchasing the new Macbook Pro and the iPhone 5 but after tha latest lawsuit and money grab it has just put me right off their products.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Iphone made all the mobile phone manufacturers want to be a better manufacturer.
      It wasn't to be a better manufacturer it was to utterly change their game plan.

Lets look at the market since the rise of the 3g network. WAP just sucked (i know I worked on it for several vendors) MMSC was also a joke, and there were many many crappy computer phones with keyboards and RIM devices most of which were confined to the sorts of people that are epitomised by dilbert, and then all of a sudden in 2007 there was iphone and everyone and their dog was into mobile computing...

The idea of a non techie or business person wandering around with their emails in their pockets was not even considered. That market did not exist.

Now try wandering around the non technical parts of the office and see if you can find more than a handful of traditional mobile phones...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I totally agree iPhones did change it but surely if they didn't someone would. I don't really have problem with that but patents for slide to unlock and bounce back when scrolling is just utter pap. As a consumer I want choice so will be pretty annoyed at any company trying to keep stuff like that to themselves. No one in this day and age wants one company to dominate and use that position to overcharge

Thank god whoever invented washing machines didn't patent a rotating drum with holes in it and it being white with a hole in the front!
        Touchscreen technology revolutionised smartphones, and as much as you have to give Apple credit for doing the most to pioneer the use of touchscreens and bring a product to market, they didn't invent the concept.

Apple are now the richest company in the history of the planet. Do they really need special help and protection?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by rambaugh View Post
          For me the point of the article reflects the changing perception of the Apple brand. The average person on the street is starting to recognise that Apple's brand is not only associated with innovation, lifestyle, aspirations but also monopolisation and greed.

To be honest, I was keen on purchasing the new Macbook Pro and the iPhone 5 but after tha latest lawsuit and money grab it has just put me right off their products.
          It's a shame its took "Patents" to do it and the reporting in the media we've had, rather than the mass suicides and protests met with "safety nets" at the factories though.

I should add that many hardware manufacturers use the same company tho.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Iphone made all the mobile phone manufacturers want to be a better manufacturer.

Before that, it was Nokia bringing out 100 different models in a year which were all crap.

I use Nokia Lumia now and its better than Android and Iphone.
            I have a Lumia too shame MS saw fit to shaft the WP7 user base
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Touchscreen technology revolutionised smartphones, and as much as you have to give Apple credit for doing the most to pioneer the use of touchscreens and bring a product to market, they didn't invent the concept.

Apple are now the richest company in the history of the planet. Do they really need special help and protection?
              Inventing something new is all well and good, making it useful and desirable is where the money comes from.

If they were illegally copied it doesn't matter how rich they are. It's a big if though.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                I have a Lumia too shame MS saw fit to shaft the WP7 user base
                They did the same with WP6.5 and will do the same with 8.

But apple do exactly the same with IOS, Iphone 1 is gone, as is 2 and 3G ; so I'm not sure where the anger comes from.

I bet Nokia are annoyed though the Lumia 900 is hands down the best smartphone I've ever had - 48 hrs battery life with all functions enabled and a massive screen.

Comment

Originally posted by rambaugh View Post
                  Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard...

Would you rather spend 3k on a laptop knowing that some shady firm are freely ripping them off for £1k a pop with a slightly different case? Maybe you don't care because you would rather have the knock off that overheats or continually crashes (Yes! HP envy 15 I am talking about you...)

Personally I would rather see Apple suing the tulip out of its competitors to ensure it keeps its market and profits in tact. That way I get to see the stream of inovation continue. Apple are not about a race to the bottom of cheapness...

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                    They did the same with WP6.5 and will do the same with 8.

But apple do exactly the same with IOS, Iphone 1 is gone, as is 2 and 3G ; so I'm not sure where the anger comes from.

I bet Nokia are annoyed though the Lumia 900 is hands down the best smartphone I've ever had - 48 hrs battery life with all functions enabled and a massive screen.
                    I only got in April so I suppose that's why I was angry, the Lumia line rocks and I do believe it was used in the trial as an example of innovation without alledged copying. Thing is my next phone will be Android now I'm not going to make the leap to WP8 or iPhone, I already own a Nexus 7 so I'll look to consolidate device wise.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard...

Would you rather spend 3k on a laptop knowing that some shady firm are freely ripping them off for £1k a pop with a slightly different case? Maybe you don't care because you would rather have the knock off that overheats or continually crashes (Yes! HP envy 15 I am talking about you...)

Personally I would rather see Apple suing the tulip out of its competitors to ensure it keeps its market and profits in tact. That way I get to see the stream of inovation continue. Apple are not about a race to the bottom of cheapness...
                      What's dumb is people spending 3K just because they think a product will makes them look cool. If App£e continue's with law suits to stifle competition their brand image will inevitably be damaged similar to the way M$'s did in the mid to late 90's. If you detach yourself from technology side of it for a minute and look at it from a market/brand perspective you might see this.

Comment

Working...
                      X