• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Osteopath vs. Chiropractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    Is this similar to acupuncture?
    No. Acupuncturists claim that dry needling is that same as what they do, but doctors who use it deny this. The aim is to find the "yipe" point in the muscle, which also provokes a localised muscular twitch. Sticking needles into people is the only point of similarity.

However, it's not been clinically proven, though it has been shown to be effective for some people. It's kind of hard to do a double blind trial. The 50% of patients who don't get the needle might notice.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      ... doctors who use it deny this.
      any chance of a reference to a medical doctor who has commented on this please?

Comment

To me it sounds like the key to relieving the pain is to remove the knot in the muscle, physio does that as does the dry needle, chiropractors seem to be more interested in realigning the spine, to me that sounds like they are way off the mark.

Comment

I've used needles for sports injuries. I've found it to work brilliantly and a lot less painful than sports massage.

If the needle grips then you've hit the spot, unlike the massage that will more than often be somewhere else.

When I'm told "I'll put a pin in your elbow to hel with your liver" I reply - erm no thanks just work my lower back and calf muscles that I came in for.

I will say this is a once every 2 year occurance.

A proper sports physio can be golden when there's an underlying problem but the "that's £50, I'll see you next week" approach is a rip off.

Depends a lot on the sport and injury
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            No. Acupuncturists claim that dry needling is that same as what they do, but doctors who use it deny this. The aim is to find the "yipe" point in the muscle, which also provokes a localised muscular twitch. Sticking needles into people is the only point of similarity.

However, it's not been clinically proven, though it has been shown to be effective for some people. It's kind of hard to do a double blind trial. The 50% of patients who don't get the needle might notice.
            I've had contact with a company that develops needle-based devices for EMG (electromyography) which sounds very similar, except the needle actually does something - delivers an electrical impulse or drugs to a very precise location in the muscle. In that therapy, you actually find the precise spot with the problem based on the muscle's electronic responses.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
              ...chiropractors seem to be more interested in realigning the spine, to me that sounds like they are way off the mark.
              Mine has only ever realigned my spine when that has been the problem. He has treated my shoulder, wrist, elbow, hip, neck etc when they have been the problem.

I cannot comment on all chiros of course but I cannot say enough good things about the one I go to.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Prevention is better than cure.
                Virtually all back problems can be prevented by buying the best bed and mattress you can afford as well as the best chair (if you can control this). The thousands you spend on these items (and the best will last a lifetime) are as nothing compared to the pain/time off from back/shoulder injury.

Oh and warm up properly before sports.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Osteopath over chiropractor for me. The osteopath works the muscles first before working on the joints/spine. The chiropractor always went straight for the joints and where the relief is instant only laster a few hours. Acupuncture is a waste of time. Best thing is to exercise though and keep moving.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Not wishing to hijack Gentile's thread...

what are your experiences? ..
                    You wouldn't catch me in a chiropractor - Too dangerous

Although I must admit they looked quite nifty in that James Bond film

Must dash ..
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

When I was a permie, my employer had a health day type thing where they had various healthcare people who you could go along to see.
                      I had had a sore lower back for ages and popped along to see the chiropractor they had got along.
                      I explained my back pain and he said "I know what is wrong with you". Surprised, I asked him what and he said that when I sat down, I crossed my legs and that if I stopped crossing my legs my problem would be solved.

He was right.

so, just like in IT (and all other professions), there are good people amongst the sea of not so good ones, it's just a matter of finding the good ones.
                      Back at the coal face

Comment

Working...
                      X