• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is middleware?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
    I always thought "middleware" in .NET terms was something that connects the front-end to the database, could be WCF, an ORM, or even ADO.NET.
    Well that could be just ODBC, I think middleware generally does some sort of processing, rather than just a mode of connection.

I am truly waffling like a PM here!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Well that could be just ODBC, I think middleware generally does some sort of processing, rather than just a mode of connection.

I am truly waffling like a PM here!
      WCF and an ORM are not only used for connection purposes only. For example Entity Framework 4.0 does much more than just connections

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
        WCF and an ORM are not only used for connection purposes only. For example Entity Framework 4.0 does much more than just connections
        Not middleware really (10 sec Google) seems more like a framework for development rather than a translation layer for disparate methods.

Comment

ORM's arent middleware. they still rely on a piece of middleware for connectivity

Comment

its the bit in the middle, key thing is AIUI that it adds value (queueing, rules etc)

So ODBC is connectivity. MQM is a queueing system so is 'Middleware'.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Middleware has made me a reasonable amount of money over the past 10 years

Comment

Its the layer of ****wit-ness between contractor and client. Typically there can be several layers labelled Tier 1, tier2 and tier 3.

Though why anyone would prefer General instead of Google or Wiki to ask this kind of question is beyond me lol...

Comment

Because Google and Wiki gave vague descriptions.

Comment

Working...
                  X