• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freak Weather due to Ice Caps melting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cockberg was photographed by Andy Rouse* in the Bransfield Strait near Antarctica.

Experts now believe** that it is only a matter of time before an armada of penis-shaped chunks begin to break off the Antarctic ice floes, and then roam the oceans wreaking havoc and luring sailors to their doom.
    Read more: Giant ice penis - is climate change to blame? | Metro.co.uk
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      But can you differentiate the affects of the climate on the UK caused by "global warming" from the entirely natural Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation?.
      I hear you BB, - but my instinct just says that this approach is too black and white, who cares how much is caused by us?

Surely if we can agree that some of it is; given that its killing people - we are losing biodiversity , shouldn't we take the warnings a bit more seriously than just denying them as "100% right, or 100% wrong).

Oh and great pic Paddy

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        lol at pj , claiming they never said the science is settled.

sorry pj, most guys here will find 100 refs within a minutes google

why not try to deny this, while you are at it

Aye there are thickos, of which you are one, at both ends of the spectrum.
        Just like in politics.
        Human natire really
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

lol at pj , claiming they never said the science is settled.

sorry pj, most guys here will find 100 refs within a minutes google
          And using a similar technique I can find you proof that blueberries cure cancer.

Over to you - just three will do, from actual scientists.

Here's the correct scientific position, from climate scientist Gavin Schmidt.

The phrase “the science is settled” is associated almost 100% with contrarian comments on climate and is usually a paraphrase of what ‘some scientists’ are supposed to have said. The reality is that it depends very much on what you are talking about and I have never heard any scientist say this in any general context – at a recent meeting I was at, someone claimed that this had been said by the participants and he was roundly shouted down by the assembled experts.

The reason why no scientist has said this is because they know full well that knowledge about science is not binary – science isn’t either settled or not settled. This is a false and misleading dichotomy. Instead, we know things with varying degrees of confidence – for instance, conservation of energy is pretty well accepted, as is the theory of gravity (despite continuing interest in what happens at very small scales or very high energies) , while the exact nature of dark matter is still unclear. The forced binary distinction implicit in the phrase is designed to misleadingly relegate anything about which there is still uncertainty to the category of completely unknown. i.e. that since we don’t know everything, we know nothing.
          RealClimate: Unsettled Science
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

And I, for one, welcome our new IPCC overlords.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Eskimos and hairdryers, ban them.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The following paper shows the "extremes" in the US in 2012 were not unusual:

Shein, K., D. Todey, F. Akyuz, J. Angel, T. Kearns, and J. Zdrojewski, 2012. Evaluating Statewide Climate Extremes for the United States. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-11-0226.1, in press.

Link with overview:

Newly found weather records show 1930′s as being far worse than the present for extreme weather | Watts Up With That?
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                X