• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The pound in your pocket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Annoying. I've got a song in my head now I was going to post but I don't know what it is. I think it has the lyrics 'Work all day long' or 'Work all night long'. It's like an 70s/80's song with a heavy beat and all I remember it goes 'Dum dum de dum dum dum All day long'.

Anyone name that tune?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      Strangely I never planned early retirement. It doesn't concern me at the moment if I have to work beyond 65. I might actually prefer it. My dad was able to take early retirement, did a few things, then he got a bit nostalgic for his old job.
      Early retirement - with sufficient income - would allow me to focus on the more important things in life. I miss seeing my children, whom I barely spend an hour each evening. I don't get to meet up with friends enough, though I guess if they're working when I'm 'retired' it wouldn't be any better. I would also like to 'work' on something else of my own choosing, rather than just chasing the money.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        From wiki

Wilson was much criticised for a broadcast in which he assured listeners that the "pound in your pocket" had not lost its value. It was widely forgotten that his next sentence had been "prices will rise".

It is that sort of attitude which caused the UK to go downhill until Maggie came along.
        Wilson was talking about the decision to devalue the £ - which has always been the standard British policy to deal with an economic down-turn, and still being used today.

Comment

We will all die at our desks. Now zip it and keep turning out those TPS reports.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

More QE for sure by next month if there's not already been a(nother) Euro crisis before then.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              since 2005, prices in the UK are up 22.8 per cent.

Prices on food easily doubled, same for gas, electric, petrol, diesel, taxes are up etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Annoying. I've got a song in my head now I was going to post but I don't know what it is. I think it has the lyrics 'Work all day long' or 'Work all night long'. It's like an 70s/80's song with a heavy beat and all I remember it goes 'Dum dum de dum dum dum All day long'.

Anyone name that tune?

I think it's "All night long" by Rainbow, but it goes Dum dum de dum dum, dum dum dah

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Prices on food easily doubled, same for gas, electric, petrol, diesel, taxes are up etc.
                  Yes. I went into co-op to buy a loaf of bread the other day. £1.49!!

At least petrol seems down a bit from about £1.40 to £1.30. But then that is probably bad news as it just reflects lack of global demand....

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Wilson was talking about the decision to devalue the £ - which has always been the standard British policy to deal with an economic down-turn, and still being used today.
                    And that is a solid reason for hanging onto your own currency. Unlike Greece, Birtain kept that option.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Just think: there was a time when it was $4.00 to the £.

Hence "half a dollar" for the half crown (12.5p for the uninitiated).
                      Significantly that was during the war and for 5 years following it, when lots of Yanks were on this side of the pond.

And in spite of the higher value of the pound back then, they were still regarded as being rich. Hence that other phrase.

"Overpaid. Oversexed. Over 'ere."
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X