• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The pound in your pocket"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Ta for the links.

Which were a bit of an eye opener.

If I remember correctly my dad got 10 shillings a week in tje army, but he was still a teenager when he joined, and single.. Don't know whether he sent money back home or not.

Bill Barnes proabably had quite a good job in civvy street at 6 quid a week. When I got my very first holiday job (1971?) I managed to get 9 quid a week, but many of my schoolmates were only on a fiver.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Just think: there was a time when it was $4.00 to the £.

Hence "half a dollar" for the half crown (12.5p for the uninitiated).
    Significantly that was during the war and for 5 years following it, when lots of Yanks were on this side of the pond.

And in spite of the higher value of the pound back then, they were still regarded as being rich. Hence that other phrase.

"Overpaid. Oversexed. Over 'ere."

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Wilson was talking about the decision to devalue the £ - which has always been the standard British policy to deal with an economic down-turn, and still being used today.
    And that is a solid reason for hanging onto your own currency. Unlike Greece, Birtain kept that option.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Prices on food easily doubled, same for gas, electric, petrol, diesel, taxes are up etc.
    Yes. I went into co-op to buy a loaf of bread the other day. £1.49!!

At least petrol seems down a bit from about £1.40 to £1.30. But then that is probably bad news as it just reflects lack of global demand....

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Annoying. I've got a song in my head now I was going to post but I don't know what it is. I think it has the lyrics 'Work all day long' or 'Work all night long'. It's like an 70s/80's song with a heavy beat and all I remember it goes 'Dum dum de dum dum dum All day long'.

Anyone name that tune?

I think it's "All night long" by Rainbow, but it goes Dum dum de dum dum, dum dum dah

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    since 2005, prices in the UK are up 22.8 per cent.

Prices on food easily doubled, same for gas, electric, petrol, diesel, taxes are up etc.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    More QE for sure by next month if there's not already been a(nother) Euro crisis before then.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    We will all die at our desks. Now zip it and keep turning out those TPS reports.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    From wiki

Wilson was much criticised for a broadcast in which he assured listeners that the "pound in your pocket" had not lost its value. It was widely forgotten that his next sentence had been "prices will rise".

It is that sort of attitude which caused the UK to go downhill until Maggie came along.
    Wilson was talking about the decision to devalue the £ - which has always been the standard British policy to deal with an economic down-turn, and still being used today.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Strangely I never planned early retirement. It doesn't concern me at the moment if I have to work beyond 65. I might actually prefer it. My dad was able to take early retirement, did a few things, then he got a bit nostalgic for his old job.
    Early retirement - with sufficient income - would allow me to focus on the more important things in life. I miss seeing my children, whom I barely spend an hour each evening. I don't get to meet up with friends enough, though I guess if they're working when I'm 'retired' it wouldn't be any better. I would also like to 'work' on something else of my own choosing, rather than just chasing the money.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Annoying. I've got a song in my head now I was going to post but I don't know what it is. I think it has the lyrics 'Work all day long' or 'Work all night long'. It's like an 70s/80's song with a heavy beat and all I remember it goes 'Dum dum de dum dum dum All day long'.

Anyone name that tune?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    all I remember it goes 'Dum dum de dum dum dum All day long'.

Anyone name that tune?
    Is it the wheels on the bus?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    When I was young(er), I thought I would retire at 35 with a residual income of £1k a month. But I was single, living with my parents, and naiive.

Then I thought maybe 40 - 45 (no I'm not quite that age yet); this was deduced when I was married, had a kid, bought my own home and had been contracting for a little while. To some extent 45 could still be achievable, but only if I could continue contracting at this pace/rate for another 5 years or so, but that is highly unlikely given the direction of my skillset and of the economy as a whole.

And recently, we've thought about private schooling the kids. Of course, when that ball starts rolling, you can't just put one kid in private education, you've got to do all 3.

And so, 45 is now a pipe dream and I think it's more likely I'll never stop working, especially as my income falls and expenses escalate.

Ho hum
    Strangely I never planned early retirement. It doesn't concern me at the moment if I have to work beyond 65. I might actually prefer it. My dad was able to take early retirement, did a few things, then he got a bit nostalgic for his old job.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Is it "Sixteen Tons"? Here's the chorus but I'm not so sure now:

You load sixteen tons an' what do you get?
    Another day older deeper and debt.
    St Peter don't you call me I cause can't go:
    I owe my soul to the company store.
    Not even close.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Anyone name that tune?
    Is it "Sixteen Tons"? Here's the chorus but I'm not so sure now:

You load sixteen tons an' what do you get?
    Another day older deeper and debt.
    St Peter don't you call me I cause can't go:
    I owe my soul to the company store.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X