• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The pound in your pocket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diver View Post
    That's my target date now. remembering that I retired at 50 and then went back to work through boredom and then bought another house etc and took out another mortgage and sold my soul to the capitalist devil and now face a lifetime of poverty unless I work til I drop
    I thought you were aged 78 now? To retire at 75 are you building a time machine?

Seriously - I reckon sassy will end up back in work soon - shame he does not learn from you.....

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I will be lucky to live to 75 with my families health history
      My step father-in-law had all his family die aged about 50. Mostly heart related. He is now 73 and lives on a diet of egg and chips getting almost no exercise.

There are probabilities - but that is all they are.

When I die this is how I want to go BBC News - Turtles fossilised in sex embrace

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        When I die this is how I want to go BBC News - Turtles fossilised in sex embrace
        Shagging a turtle?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          My step father-in-law had all his family die aged about 50. Mostly heart related. He is now 73 and lives on a diet of egg and chips getting almost no exercise.

There are probabilities - but that is all they are.

You need to find a turtle first, and hope that it's willing.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            That's my target date now. remembering that I retired at 50 and then went back to work through boredom and then bought another house etc and took out another mortgage and sold my soul to the capitalist devil and now face a lifetime of poverty unless I work til I drop
            Annoying. I've got a song in my head now I was going to post but I don't know what it is. I think it has the lyrics 'Work all day long' or 'Work all night long'. It's like an 70s/80's song with a heavy beat and all I remember it goes 'Dum dum de dum dum dum All day long'.

Anyone name that tune?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

When I was young(er), I thought I would retire at 35 with a residual income of £1k a month. But I was single, living with my parents, and naiive.

Then I thought maybe 40 - 45 (no I'm not quite that age yet); this was deduced when I was married, had a kid, bought my own home and had been contracting for a little while. To some extent 45 could still be achievable, but only if I could continue contracting at this pace/rate for another 5 years or so, but that is highly unlikely given the direction of my skillset and of the economy as a whole.

And recently, we've thought about private schooling the kids. Of course, when that ball starts rolling, you can't just put one kid in private education, you've got to do all 3.

And so, 45 is now a pipe dream and I think it's more likely I'll never stop working, especially as my income falls and expenses escalate.

Ho hum

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Annoying. I've got a song in my head now I was going to post but I don't know what it is. I think it has the lyrics 'Work all day long' or 'Work all night long'. It's like an 70s/80's song with a heavy beat and all I remember it goes 'Dum dum de dum dum dum All day long'.

Anyone name that tune?
                Is it "Sixteen Tons"? Here's the chorus but I'm not so sure now:

You load sixteen tons an' what do you get?
                Another day older deeper and debt.
                St Peter don't you call me I cause can't go:
                I owe my soul to the company store.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Is it "Sixteen Tons"? Here's the chorus but I'm not so sure now:

You load sixteen tons an' what do you get?
                  Another day older deeper and debt.
                  St Peter don't you call me I cause can't go:
                  I owe my soul to the company store.
                  Not even close.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    When I was young(er), I thought I would retire at 35 with a residual income of £1k a month. But I was single, living with my parents, and naiive.

Then I thought maybe 40 - 45 (no I'm not quite that age yet); this was deduced when I was married, had a kid, bought my own home and had been contracting for a little while. To some extent 45 could still be achievable, but only if I could continue contracting at this pace/rate for another 5 years or so, but that is highly unlikely given the direction of my skillset and of the economy as a whole.

And recently, we've thought about private schooling the kids. Of course, when that ball starts rolling, you can't just put one kid in private education, you've got to do all 3.

And so, 45 is now a pipe dream and I think it's more likely I'll never stop working, especially as my income falls and expenses escalate.

Ho hum
                    Strangely I never planned early retirement. It doesn't concern me at the moment if I have to work beyond 65. I might actually prefer it. My dad was able to take early retirement, did a few things, then he got a bit nostalgic for his old job.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      all I remember it goes 'Dum dum de dum dum dum All day long'.

Anyone name that tune?
                      Is it the wheels on the bus?

Comment

Working...
                      X