• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

market reaction to greek result

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    He who dares
    ...and incidentally I'm already up

Preusmably you wait until everyone is optimistic and you take advice from your hairdresser.
    you did read the caveat at the bottom of your article didn't you?
    There’s only one catch here: If you buy stocks now and Greece devaluates its currency (after exiting the Eurozone), you could lose sh*tloads of money due to the currency devaluation.
    Therefore, I will wait until the moment that that happens. That day, I will buy the HELL out of HELLAS stocks…
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Is that really the narrow prism through which you see this?
      I find it interesting how exports in the first half of 2012 are increasing in Ireland, Portugal, Greece and Italy, and declining in the UK.

Doesn't really fit with your narrative does it.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

I find it interesting how exports in the first half of 2012 are increasing in Ireland, Portugal, Greece and Italy, and declining in the UK.

Its hardly surprising as the economist showed last November Economics focus: Exports to Mars | The Economist

the world exported $331 billion more than it imported in 2010, according to the IMF’s World Economic Outlook. The fund forecasts that the global current-account surplus will rise to almost $700 billion by 2014.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          you did read the caveat at the bottom of your article didn't you?
          If you invest in an exporter you won't be impacted by a devaluation. In other words earnngs in Dollars.

Lot of excellent opportunities.

I think however the exit from the Euro is unlikely and the potential gains from non-exporters are considerably higher. So at current valuations any risk you take would be amply rewarded, i.e. losses from the Drachma would be offset from gains in the stock price.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Its hardly surprising as the economist showed last November Economics focus: Exports to Mars | The Economist
            But the UK performed badly. How do you explain that? Presumably a disadvantage of not being in the Euro.

Just pointing that out. Not every country increased it's exports.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

It is a not a debate about we are better than them is it? It is a debate about democracy and sovereignty and economic advancement. You seem intellectually incapable of grasping this.

What you are saying if applied to the points in Boris's narrative is that the increase of exports in Ireland, Portugal and Greece are such that these economies will soon be out of trouble and that Boris is wrong then fine. But you are not. You have (selectively) picked some statistics and made the utterly irrelevant point that one country is exporting faster than another.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                It is a not a debate about we are better than them is it? It is a debate about democracy and sovereignty and economic advancement. You seem intellectually incapable of grasping this.

What you are saying if applied to the points in Boris's narrative is that the increase of exports in Ireland, Portugal and Greece are such that these economies will soon be out of trouble and that Boris is wrong then fine. But you are not. You have (selectively) picked some statistics and made the utterly irrelevant point that one country is exporting faster than another.
                Yes we will see won't we. But take note Portugal and Ireland have moved quietly out of the headlines. I think you may see the same with Greece. Spain and perhaps Italy still has some way to go.

Greece voted for a pro-Euro party. Presumably your view of democracy is that only if a country votes for a party that you agree with is it democracy. Incidentally the only anti-European parties standing in recent elections were all faschist.

You need to accept that Greece voted democratically for a pro-Euro and pro-European party. Perhaps Boris should respect the democratic decision of the Greeks, rather than arrogantly assuming that because he's a mayor responsible for errecting traffic signs he somehow knows better.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 June 2012, 10:02.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

"Spain is not Greece" - Elena Salgado, Spanish Finance minister, February 2010.
                  "Portugal is not Greece" - The Economist, April 2010.
                  "Greece is not Ireland" - George Papaconstantinou, Greek Finance minister, November 2010.
                  "Spain is neither Ireland nor Portugal" - Elena Salgado, Spanish Finance minister, November 2010.
                  "Ireland is not in ‘Greek Territory’" - Irish Finance Minister Brian Lenihan. November 2010.
                  "Neither Spain nor Portugal is Ireland" - Angel Gurria, Secretary-general OECD, November 2010.
                  "Italy is not Spain” - Ed Parker, Fitch MD, June 12, 2012
                  "Spain is not Uganda" - Spanish PM Mariano Rajoy, June 2012
                  "Uganda does not want to be Spain" - Ugandan foreign minister, June 13, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    "Greece is not Ireland" - George Papaconstantinou, Greek Finance minister, November 2010.
                    "Spain is neither Ireland nor Portugal" - Elena Salgado, Spanish Finance minister, November 2010.
                    "Ireland is not in ‘Greek Territory’" - Irish Finance Minister Brian Lenihan. November 2010.
                    "Neither Spain nor Portugal is Ireland" - Angel Gurria, Secretary-general OECD, November 2010.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post

Spain would love Uganda's growth rate of 5% p.a.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X