• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of taking Sony to small claims court, if I lose will I be liable to pay....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Have you told them you have the video? Stick it on youtube. And start a facebook page.
    What doodab said, tell them you have a video of it, you know it's a known fault (if it is that is) and that you will be looking at legal action if they do not honour the warranty..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

sony complaint service
      citizens advice
      trading standards
      sony's forums
      other consumer boards
      watchdog
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You might get your £400 but youll never work in the laptop repair business again.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          sony complaint service
          citizens advice
          trading standards
          sony's forums
          other consumer boards
          watchdog
          Most of those above just give you advice on how to go about complaining, they won't do it for you. I am tempted to go via the route of Small Claims Court having proved to the Judge that I have exhausted all possibilities with Sony.

Its going to be a long process, although I'm worried about what happened with the guy in this thread with Honda. I hope video evidence is admissible in a small claims court and the jpegs that they e-mailed me with the damage that they created when the laptop was in their possession.

thanks for the advice everyone. The worst thing is dealing with random Sony Representatives who I think are based in a Morroco call centre. Some tell you anything to fob you off, they are hard to understand sometimes with their spoken English.

Teleplan in the UK do the actual repair work for Sony and I think they are based down south somewhere, when asked to give a report on the damage they just send screen shots with the words pressure marks on them, I ask for more detail and they give nothing. they just give a stock answer using a clause/catchphrase that makes the component problem look to be out of the scope of warranty.

Comment

You're just going to have to work the system. So far you're just talking to drones. You need to get to the level where people actually have the power to make the decision.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            ...Pop along to the flagship store on a Saturday afternoon... and tell them to take their tulip back...
            This is probably the best approach. Demand to see the manager, show him the video and photos. Do not be fobbed off and do not leave until you've got either a new laptop or a promise to repair without charge. You can complain loudly in the store about the awful build quality.

While Sony laptops look lovely, my experience is that the build quality lacks. I stick now to Acers that last forever (and if they don't are usually easy to repair yourself).

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
            ...I hope video evidence is admissible in a small claims court and the jpegs that they e-mailed me with the damage that they created when the laptop was in their possession.
            Put the video onto black and white 35mm film so it can be projected, and print the jpegs onto sepia photographic paper.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Let me google that for you

Sounds like it's been a problem for a while. I'd get twattering about how useless it is.

Comment

Did you buy it direct from Sony or from a retailer?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Did you buy it direct from Sony or from a retailer?
                  Bought it direct from the Sony Vaio website uk. Of course the item was assembled to order in Asia and shipped over. As stated before this is the 2nd time the screen has developed markings.

Comment

This is a tricky one isn't it. I sent a Laptop in for repair a year ago, never again, they broke it when they opened it up and made a real hash of the repair. Basically they simply f***ed it up completely putting in a new Mother board which probably wasn't compatible with something, so it started crashing until it became completely unusable.

Anyway you have my sympathy I can well imagine some hamfisted repair bod broke your screen as well.

Difficult to prove though, the video helps. I just gave up to be honest, I bought a new cheap one.

Probably a good idea to use a repair shop round the corner run by someone you can talk to and let them handle it. I think these repair centres employ badly paid staff who can't be bothered.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

You can never beat Sony in court. The law is rigged. Better off badmouthing them in all possible web forums. Make sure you use anon proxies from Iran. Legal disclaimer: of course I would never do that...
                      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                      X