• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3.5 hours on 1 stretch of the M25

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 years commuting from Reigate to Farborough. Very good day, 40 mins, bad day 2 hours. Average day 1.30.

Now piling up the M5/M42/M6 and if I leave early enough, can bang it out in 2.5 hours. Has taken 7 hours coming back down in the afternoon.

Life in the UK. If you haven't factored in traffic in the South East, then my cuppeth of sympathy runs not overeth

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      So I had my interview today in Brighton and ended up flying to heathrow and renting a car out (cheapest option). On the way there it was fine, met up with a friend in south London afterwards. Left nice and early only to be faced with perhaps the worst driving experience I have ever had. Countless accidents, lane closures, broken down vehicles. The M25 was literally the worlds biggest car park. I missed my flight by 10 mins and am now shattered. Never again will I go near that hellish motorway ......
      Bad luck old chap.

Better luck next time.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        ...Life in the UK. If thou hast not factored in traffic in the South East, then my cup of sympathy runneth not over
        FTFY.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Have they made an offer yet or not?
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            I know Brentwood sucks, and carpet bombing is an option in town planning, but I really don't think the Brentwood Massive pose a threat to the US, do you?
            Precedent:

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!
            It isn't fit for humans now,
            There isn't grass to graze a cow.
            Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
            Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
            Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
            Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-
            A house for ninety-seven down
            And once a week a half a crown
            For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin
            Who'll always cheat and always win,
            Who washes his repulsive skin
            In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak
            And smash his hands so used to stroke
            And stop his boring dirty joke
            And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
            The profits of the stinking cad;
            It's not their fault that they are mad,
            They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know
            The birdsong from the radio,
            It's not their fault they often go
            To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars
            In various bogus-Tudor bars
            And daren't look up and see the stars
            But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
            Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
            And dry it in synthetic air
            And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
            To get it ready for the plough.
            The cabbages are coming now;
            The earth exhales.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

"Many phenomena - wars, plagues, sudden audits - have been advanced as evidence for the hidden hand of Satan in the affairs of Man, but whenever students of demonology get together the M25 London orbital motorway is generally agreed to be among the top contenders for exhibit A."

"...the very shape of the M25 forms the sign Odegra in the language of the Black Priesthood of Ancient Mu, and means 'Hail the Great Beast, Devourer of Worlds.' The thousands of motorists who daily fume their way around its serpentine lengths have the same effect as water on a prayer wheel, grinding out an endless fog of low-grade evil to pollute the metaphysical atmosphere for scores of miles around. It was one of Crowley's better achievements... and had involved three computer hacks, two break-ins, one minor bribery and, when all else had failed, two hours in a squelchy field shifting the marker pegs a few but occultly incredibley significant meters"
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                "Many phenomena - wars, plagues, sudden audits - have been advanced as evidence for the hidden hand of Satan in the affairs of Man, but whenever students of demonology get together the M25 London orbital motorway is generally agreed to be among the top contenders for exhibit A."

"...the very shape of the M25 forms the sign Odegra in the language of the Black Priesthood of Ancient Mu, and means 'Hail the Great Beast, Devourer of Worlds.' The thousands of motorists who daily fume their way around its serpentine lengths have the same effect as water on a prayer wheel, grinding out an endless fog of low-grade evil to pollute the metaphysical atmosphere for scores of miles around. It was one of Crowley's better achievements... and had involved three computer hacks, two break-ins, one minor bribery and, when all else had failed, two hours in a squelchy field shifting the marker pegs a few but occultly incredibley significant meters"
                Crowley also claims responsibility for...
                • - Welsh-language television
                • - Most television in general...
                • - ...especially game shows...
                • - Value-added tax
                • - Manchester, England
                • - Glasgow, Scotland
                • - The widespread use of record-keeping
                • "There are always records... It was one of my better ideas" (p. 91).
                • - Funding the Witchfinder Army
                • - Explaining the helicopter to Leonardo daVinci
                • - Terrifying his houseplants

I can believe the bit about Welsh language TV
                From Here

Comment

In theory everyone is short of cash so the roads should be clear. In practice they will stop feeding their kids to buy petrol. Same is true for sky sports, mobile phone bills, etcetc.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    Were you expecting to move down for the duration? Otherwise that sounds like a job from hell. Why would you ever expect the south side of the M25 to be anything short of a car park??? I have seen loads of stuff come up for Redhill in surrey but theres no way Id apply because I know that I will end up mostly sat in traffic and the rates won't support accommodation.
                    I once drove from Yorkshire to Crawley to get into a system after someone's top technical man had died in an accident and left them without access.

It was a journey from hell.

I then realised why that customer had been pestering me to get a car phone. I didn't see the point when my normal commute was 15 minutes, but they obviously spent vast chunks of their waking lives sat in traffic.

What a waste of both human and natural resources.

There was another contractor there that day who had travelled from Liverpool. The sensible chap had done it by train.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      FTFY.
                      I was being silly, deliberately this time...

Comment

Working...
                      X