• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LeakedIn.org - check if your password was leaked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    b)even if they stored plaintext passwords, it would require a human agent to manually inspect the hacked passwords and understand them, which I doubt would happen.
    Unless they just post them online for tulips and giggles.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Blindly condemning the use of the site out of pure ignorance when you could confirm that it's safe to use in about five seconds is idiotic.
      So because you said it's safe or the guys who created said it's safe, or the Javascript looks ok to you, that means every other person can confirm it's safe in 5 seconds? Wait didn't you do work on this forum's code, and there were viruses etc on here, ll making sense now.

Comment

I have a feeling they'll only try to crack your password if it appeared on the list more than once. After all some of my passwords are almost SHA1 hashes themselves.

No point trying to crack that when its likley it'll be unique to LinkedIn but finding 4 users with the same hash is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          I have a feeling they'll only try to crack your password if it appeared on the list more than once. After all some of my passwords are almost SHA1 hashes themselves.

No point trying to crack that when its likley it'll be unique to LinkedIn but finding 4 users with the same hash is different.
          WTF?

They've cracked my password! Looks like I'll have to change it from Marill10nF4n!54F@b45tard01 to Marill10nF4n!54F@b45tard02

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            First time I've seen a moderator on a forum dishing out insults...
            As a moderator, I'll never insult you. As a member, I'm happy to say I think you're unobservant as well as bit silly.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              WTF?

They've cracked my password! Looks like I'll have to change it from Marill10nF4n!54F@b45tard01 to Marill10nF4n!54F@b45tard02
              Not but if you get 100 hashes the same with come back to "thisismypassword" then its worth spending the time to crach that rather than gYJKaJkaJhaquz which is likley auto generated and just for this site.

Comment

Mine's okay, I tried 'password' and apparently leaked. Just how many people have 'password' as their password!
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  Not but if you get 100 hashes the same with come back to "thisismypassword" then its worth spending the time to crach that rather than gYJKaJkaJhaquz which is likley auto generated and just for this site.
                  That makes sense. Someone who makes the effort to generate a long meaningless password is probably paranoid enough to have a unique password per site.

It isn't just the site that gets attacked that is the target. Other sites where you use the same username and password might result in richer pickings.

Gawker

Gawker got into a pissing match with Anonymous. Anonymous spent a little time and managed to pull the full source code for their CMS (ganja) and also the entire 1.3M record user database. They released it as a torrent.
                  Gawker Hack Exposes Ridiculous Password Habits.

I recall reading at the time that the Gawker chap responsible for the pissing contest was found to be using the same password across multiple accounts.

Oh Dear.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X